My MBP battery is on its last legs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JavaWizKid, Feb 16, 2010.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately my MBP battery has undertaken some heavy damage to it somehow and it now has 110 cycles and doesn't hold its charge very well. I took it to the Apple store and they ran a diagnostic test which it failed. They said batteries aren't covered under warranty unless it is within the first year of purchase. I have Apple Care so I thought that that would have covered it. Obviously not :(

I have 2 options:

Buy one from Apple for £80-100 which is a bit steep.

OR

Buy a NON-OEM replacement battery for £30-40 from Ebay.

I know which I'd rather go with because of the price but are they reliable and safe since they aren't 'certified' Apple components?

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. dave12345 macrumors regular

yeah - i'm in the same situation as you - reckon i will fork out for the proper apple replacement battery.

3. Aj2488 macrumors regular

Same problem here. Battery is just about 4 years old though so I guess its time... is there a problem with keeping a crappy battery if the laptop is plugged in and charging 99.9% of the time anyway?

4. khirok macrumors newbie

Try the FastMac batteries. Have one in my late 2008 MBP and it works wonders and blows away the OEM batteries.

Here is the URL:
    http://fastmac.com/laptop.php

5. Portaluk Guest

Have you tried phoning apple care before paying out for a new battery?

Reading other posts some of the apple store employees aren't the most reliable people to ask and it sounds like you only have asked one member of staff.

According to apples website older removable batteries should still have 80% charge after 300 cycles and newer ones after 1000 cycles. You may have a strong argument that your battery is faulty if it isn't holding its charge after only 110 cycles. Mine is 116 cycles and 'normal'.

The warranty for faulty batteries is one year, however this is extended to three years if you have apple care, but only if the battery has a manufacturing defect. I would argue as it has only had 110 cycles and not holding its charge it must be a manufacturing defect.

"Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect."

Don't want to get you hopes up high but it may be worth a try phoning them quoting their own website/policy and stating its a manufacturing defect repairable under your apple care as its only had 110 cycles.

6. npep macrumors member

I have an early 2008 Mbp and have had two battery replacements. I would go back and ask again. 110 seems low for a bad battery. Get a better genius!