My MBP battery sob story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sbw80, Dec 11, 2010.

1. sbw80 macrumors newbie

I bought my MBP 15 in August of this year. For the first month or so I was charging the battery and then unplugging when full. I then decided to just leave it plugged in all the time. I've been running coconut Battery since the beginning. Until I began leaving it plugged in all the time, the current capacity was increasing above the 6900 mAh design capacity. For two weeks I left it plugged in, and now my current capacity is at a meager 6759 mAh or 97%. Age of Mac 15 weeks. Battery load cycles 31. At this point it doesn't seem to make much sense to worry about the capacity and to just leave it plugged in. I've calibrated the battery since and it doesn't increase the current capacity.

2. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I got my Mbp used, and it was definitely plugged in all the time by the previous owner. It's now 26 weeks old with only 32 charge cycles and the battery fluctuates between 91 and 96%. How low does a battery's health need to get before being considered for a free replacement? While under warranty, that is.

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

4. armada120 macrumors newbie

What about that percentage?

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You couldn't discern this from just 3 posts?

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The current MBP doesn't have the circuitry protection to avoid overcharging? I feel like an idiot. My MBP only charges to 98%; is that because of what you stated? How to you measure the load cycles and mAh?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I always leave my MBP plugged in and it works fine.

I also avoid using utilities like coconut as people seem to have an unhealthy fixation on the battery recharge cycles.

My MBP's batteries have always lasted in excess of three years and when I don't travel, the laptop is plugged in.

To the OP, I'd not worry about the details of the battery until its unable to hold a charge. Then get a replacement

8. puttputt macrumors regular

9. sbw80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,

I came the same conclusion after actually making the post and reading the other thread about coconut battery.

Better to just enjoy the Mac than fret about the battery. :)

10. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

12. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

There is a post on here about coconut battery. It drove me batty for days. I calibrated my battery and everything. Everyone said that the numbers will always fluctuate. So in conclusion I chose not to bother with the coconut battery information. It can drive you insane for sure!:rolleyes:

13. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Coconut Battery will drive you insane as others have said. I used to have all these programs monitoring EVERYTHING on my computers, and it would drive me crazy at little bumps in the speed of the fan, or 1c higher etc. just forget about it and enjoy your macbook, when your battery cant hold a charge anymore, go get the battery replaced. simple :D

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes, i'd avoid using coconut battery because OCD will start to kick in.

Instead, fixate your eyes on your System Profiler -> Power -> Charge Information .

Otherwise, if your specs look fine, just leave it alone and come back to it after a few months. If you are sitting at the threshold, keep a closer eye. Obviously, if your battery is defective, don't bother waiting until your computer only works on AC. I've had Apple replace ~79% twice.

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

wait i have a question. i am noob to macs and apple service so here is my question:
    do you need apple care to replace the battery?also can i go in after three years when my battery is say near dead and ask apple to change it for free? thanks

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

here ya go ... just a few posts above

17. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Ha Ha, Coconut Paranoia :D

This is exactly why I stopped using coconut and just started using my MBP and not worrying about it...Fight that battery OCD it`ll drive ya mad!

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Really. Current model is rated to retain 80% capacity for 1000 full charge/discharge cycles. If I see a significant degradation within the first year at substantially fewer cycles, I'll make a stink for a warranty replacement. Past that, it's not that challenging or expensive (in the grand scheme of things) to replace the battery.

I've had my MBP13 for just over three weeks. System Profiler is showing a cycle count of 9 and I'm using my MBP as I expect to use it for the foreseeable future. At this rate I should reach a cycle count of 500 (half of the 1000 rating) somewhere around February 2014.

It's just not worth it to me to worry about it for something I know is a consumable item. YMMV.

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

I keep my MBP plugged in 24/7. It sits on my desk, and stays plugged in permanently. There is no harm in doing this, the charger is intelligent (as with every laptop) and will not overcharge.

I don't use any battery utilities or pay any attention to "charge cycles" and other baloney like that. I always get 3+ years out of mine. My current MBP is the late 2006 model. 4 years old. Still has original battery, shows 94%.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There IS harm in leaving it plugged in 24/7. Not from overcharging, but from the battery not being used.

Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.

If you haven't calibrated your battery, that 94% is very likely inaccurate.

21. dime21 macrumors 6502

From your link: "Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month."

I do take my MBP with me probably once a month where it does get an hour or two of usage on battery. But then it sits on my desk on the AC adapter for the next 29 days straight.

My point was that there's no need to disconnect the AC adapter once the battery charge is "full".

22. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Agree with coconut. It's why I turn off the battery % indicator on my iphone too. Can't stand staring at that number go down :mad:

I've noticed that the batteries on MBPs after the original unibody aluminum macbook work a little differently. The batteries that were user-replaceable seem to hold their max charge a lot better than the new ones with higher capacity.

23. dime21 macrumors 6502

Do you also disconnect the gas gauge in your car?

24. Deacon* macrumors newbie

My name is Deacon and I too obsess about battery life. (Crowd says hi Deacon)

I have been battery OCD ever since installing iStat.