My MBP boots up to a folder with a question mark??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duff3012, Feb 24, 2015.

1. duff3012 macrumors newbie

anybody know the remedy for my MBP (mid 2010)?? it recently feel off my bed (but had been running well). but days later (it was on just closed and when i opened it up) there was a screen with a folder with a question mark in it blinking. i restarted it many times and still the same screen so. i took it to ifixit and they said that it was the hard drive not starting up properly, they fixed that problem (then said) but when they tried connecting to wifi a screen came up asking for a password. (they still never signed in and on the desktop like normal and connecting to wifi they never got the chance to) the ifixit guy was asking me for apple id but that didnt work and they said it was the system password and i bought it used and dont know any other passwords. is there any way to get my MBP back without that password? its a white screen with a text box and doest even say whats it asking for :/

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The question mark means it cannot find a bootable drive. Since it fell, it may mean that hard drive failed due to the drop.

If you're running a recent copy of OSX, try to boot into the recovery partition (cmd-r) and run a disk utility. If not, grab the install disks that came with the computer, put them in the drive and reboot (holding the C key). Once it boots up off the optical drive, check the drive via Disk Utility and/or reinstall OS X.

3. duff3012 thread starter macrumors newbie

only problem is this is a used mac it came with nothing. im on lion n i was in the process of moving to ML now its just a blank screen and needs a password i dont know.

so im guessing this is my only option:

try to boot into the recovery partition (cmd-r) and run a disk utility.

the hard drive is ok says the ifixguy and would boot up if i could sign in.

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

If the disk has been fixed and you are now having issues logging into the MBP, you may have to do a fresh install of OS X and start from scratch

5. duff3012 thread starter macrumors newbie

GGJstudios that would work but has anyone experienced the just a blank screen and asking for the system password or some apple id?? because there is no way of going back to the flashing folder with the ???

----------

thanks mik3F u have lion laying around somewhere. i had just bought ML too! now its all gone

6. Mik3F macrumors 6502

If you have access to another machine you can download ML again and create a USB installer

Failing that did the Mac come with any disc's with OS X (probably Leopard or Snow Leopard)

7. duff3012 thread starter macrumors newbie

it came with nada. luckly i purchased another mbp when that comes i will create the installer usb and try and install luckly i created a SD backup also. since the mac was running lion and im gonna install ML will microsoft office be deleted?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you're starting from scratch then yes.

9. duff3012 thread starter macrumors newbie