My MBP can't sleep right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

What the heeeeck.. so basically, I shut my MBP lid, but then after a minute or so it makes the sound that the HD makes when you open it (it's still closed at this point), and the apple logo on the top of the laptop lights up for a bit, then dims.

So I thought it would be okay, but when I put my computer to my ear it's clearly still working, fan is still running, etc etc. So it just gets hotter and hotter.

The only way to stop it so far is by shutting it down.. it's weird though, because when I open it while it's doing that, the HD sound is made again and the screen isn't already on.

So I don't know what the deal is, anyone have any ideas? And this is with ZERO applications running (at least on the bottom bar where all the apps are)

I think this happens specifically after I use Maya 9.0. But it's definitely exited, and I don't know what else it might be..

2. belvdr macrumors 603

It has to be a background application doing this. I would first try powering it up, then, without launching any apps, put it to sleep. Notice what behaviour it exhibits. Then wake it up, and launch Maya. Try to put it to sleep again.

I'm wondering if you aren't waiting long enough for Maya to completely shutdown, and it's waking the system to shut itself off. Then the system doesn't realize the display is closed, so it stays awake.

3. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm that's very possible. I'll give it a try. Thanks mate.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Does this happen when you have the power adapter plugged into it?
    This only happens to mean when I am using the charger and put the machine to sleep. It then would wake up randomly...

However just running of the battery it would never wake up....Odd...

5. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I'm having the same problem on my new MacBook, hoping for a solution as well.

6. firstyearprof macrumors member

I think this issue destroyed my MacBook Pro

My MBP used to wake from sleeping. I screwed around enough with it (I can't remember all what I did - one thing was setting lidwake to FALSE) that I thought it was fixed. Then last week (cue scary music) I put it to sleep and put it into it's protective sleeve. Eight hours later, the battery was at 0% (whereas it was at 80% when I put it to 'sleep') and I had a dead computer. I have Apple Care and have sent it back, but it is annoying that MBPs can't properly sleep. :mad: