My MBP completely locks up and the screen starts flickering - What does that mean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrsir2009, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My MBP completely locks up and the screen starts flickering. I have to hold down the power button to shut it down.

Up until now it has only happened when I've tried to open a certain map on the certain game. Which is fine. But just now it happened when I was on the internet.

I'm just wondering if its a normal random crash, or anything serious. My MBP is 5-6 months old.

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4GB RAM. 160 HDD. 2.24 Ghz

Does it make any difference though:confused:

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Is it one of the first 13" mbp? I can't remember a 2.24, is it a 2.26?

Is it a quick flicker of the top section of the screen? At random periods and is for less than a second each time?

5. menomano macrumors member

Clearly, the Feds are after you and hacked into your computer. Got anything to hide?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it only happens on one application, it could be the application. Have you tried reinstalling the application?

7. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ok, well. It was only one application, which was fine. But it happned once when I wasn't using the application too. And it isn't just one flicker. The whole screen constantly flashes until I force shut it down.

If it happens again I'll try and get a picture of it ;)

8. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just a thought here but as the 9400M uses shared memory it could be bad RAM (hardware check), also make sure that the RAM has not rattled out of the memory bank in the computer. Take it out and put it back in. This can happen after a lot of use in and out of bags and onto tables.