My MBP Crisis

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thisdorkagain, Jan 25, 2009.

1. thisdorkagain macrumors newbie

So here's my case. I had the old school 2.33 GHZ MBP from late 2006. The logic board got replaced twice and finally gave up. I called AppleCare to full replace the laptop. And now they're replacing it with the low-end 2.4 GHZ MBP right out of the store floor.

Now is this a good offer or should I keep pushing for the higher end model. Or I should be satisfied with the new design and stop over thinking? Because I think they tried keeping the specs close to my broken one. Went from:

2.33 GHZ --> 2.4 GHZ
    120 GB --> 250 GB
    2 GB Ram --> same
    X1600 256 MB --> 9600GT 256 MB
    old design --> new design

I paid $2500 ($2700 after taxes) for the 2.33 GHZ back in the day. My main question is should I try to get them to replace my laptop with the current model that I paid at the $2500 price?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're giving you a brand new computer with GREATLY better specs ALL AROUND and you're complaining that it isn't expensive enough...

Hmm...

Be happy with what you're getting. :)

They aren't keeping your specs close to the old one. What they have is all that they sell anymore.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

It's a brand new computer. Why would you complain.

Actually .... I find it REALLY hard to believe that they are going to send you a brand new computer.:rolleyes:

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

although I understand your logic, you really should feel lucky that there even replacing your old MBP with the new model.

Be happy with the new MBP.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

I understand where you're coming from. What they're doing is the very least given all the trouble you've had, so I don't agree with those who think Apple is being generous. You bought the high end at the time, but didn't really get the high end because of the failures, so I can see how you'd think about asking for the high end with your replacement.

At the same time, what they're giving you is so much better than what you had and, truth be told, they're only obligated to repair and replace with something equivalent in specifications, not equivalent in price. If I were you, I'd be very satisfied with what they're offering and just enjoy it!

In short: stop over-thinking!

7. thisdorkagain thread starter macrumors newbie

o haha. ok. i'm just trying to take advantage of my last year of AppleCare. i'm just being greedy i guess. but yeah. my laptop had a bad history in repairs. so i'm glad that it's being replaced with the newer model. just FYI, you can give AppleCare a call and see what options you have if you're computer needs repair for a previous fixed issue. so if a reoccurring issue happens, try to settle a deal with them. the guy was nice about my reasoning. thanks yall though.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Easy answer, get the 2.4ghz mbp and sell it and pay a little more for the 2.53ghz or 17" hi res unibody. :D

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

In the past I got a replacement PowerBook for a TiBook and then Apple did follow the logic that I had a top-of-the-line TiBook, so they offered me a top-of-the-line PB (rather than the PB that most closely matched the spec of my TB).

10. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

At the very least Apple I'm pretty sure Apple would allow paying the difference for a new higher spec machine.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Even better idea! But the OP should ask Apple first if he could get the equivalent model of his replacement.

12. PDE macrumors 68020

yes, excellent idea! Apple rarely says no to making more money on their customers' misfortune.

13. thisdorkagain thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried calling apple care and talked to the store manager. they told me they try to make replacements as close as to the specs of the to-be repaired mac. ahh well. it was worth the shot.

14. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

If they can't repair your computer, they should give you credit for its value when you purchased it. When my iBook was replaced with a MacBook, they offered me a white MacBook because it cost the same as the iBook did when it was new. I wanted the black one so I paid the $400 difference and was on my way.

Whatever your case may be, I'd definitely be happy with a new replacement. The specs are better and you're getting a new computer.

15. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

When Apple replaced my Powerbook, they refunded the price of the computer and then charged me for the new MBP. It was a wash since they were the same price. If I were you, I would find my receipt and ask them to replace the machine with the one that reflects the original price point.

16. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Don't forget to get AppleCare on the new model. Extend it for 3 years. I believe it's still an option since it was an option for me, but my old MacBook Pro was only 4 months old when it was replaced.

17. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

do what makes you happy, not what forum members say..

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

This is what I've dug up from the AppleCare Repair Agreement (North America), p.2:

Unless the policy on the website has been updated and is not consistent with the agreement that came with your AppleCare package, it looks like the method of replacement is per the agreement.

19. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had quite a few replacements and the one thing they have always been is brand new with one full year of warranty. I never buy the top of the range laptops so Apple has almost always replaced with the same range, but once upgraded me from cheapest 15" MBP to most expensive 17" MBP - so it's up to luck and communication!

20. suburbia macrumors 6502

Very true-- but this can work to the advantage of the customer.

As to the OP, be grateful you're getting the latest model in exchange for your over 2-yr-old one :)

21. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I was thinking this means that the value of your AppleCare decreases over time for higher end models, but retains its value at the low end, because Apple cannot replace a low end machine with a new lower than low end machine.

22. PDE macrumors 68020

Of course...forgot that the OP had applecare, was thinking warranty. But if there's just a day left of applecare, the replacement will of course still be covered under the 1 year warranty as a new machine.

23. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Yes but as a new "functionally equivalent" machine, which could mean a machine that most closely matches the spec of the original machine, or a lower end model if there is one.

For example, I have a 2.8GHz MBP and was planning to buy AppleCare before the end of the 1st year. Let's say in two years the lowest GHz machine is 2.9, then I would get a 2.9GHz machine. But someone who bought the low end MBP would also get a 2.9GHz machine.

If this is correct, AppleCare favors their low end products and in the opposite case its probably better to shop around for an alternative to AppleCare that would allow replacing the product with a similarly priced product.