My MBP Destroyed my Snow Leopard DVD! Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sup3r1or, Aug 24, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

This is what happened.

I had kernel panic, and tried to solve it to the best of my knowledge. In the end I could not solve this issue and decided to re-install my system. ( I could not make a clone copy of the system cuz my wifes external is formated in NTFS so I backup folders I needed).

I pulled my OSX Snow Leopard disc out of the box that came with my mac (second time using it). Put it in, surprizingly it took much longer to boot from it and the drive was making really weird noises.

Next I wiped my drive when I pressed install it shows me 32 minutes remaining and after that says INSTALL FAILED (yellow ! sign) please restart and try again. I tried like 10 times with no luck. I took the DVD out and its all scratched like hell.

Now I'am stuck with no system on my mac. What should I do? I cannot go to apple store, Im staying in a small city at my wifes village at the moment, which is 10 hours drive from Bangkok or about 3 from nearest Apple Store.

I downloaded retail OSX 10.6.3 from BT but the file is ISO, how can I burn it? NEro screwed up 2 DL DVDs already! UltraISO only shows 900 mb size even the ISO is 7.23.

Please help me find a way out.

2. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Come on any help pleaseeee!!!

I have noticed circular mechanical scratched on my OSX install DVD, im cetain it is caused by DVD drive in my MBP.

Anyway can please anyone tell me how to burn ISO Snow Leopard on a DL-DVD?

i dowloaded ISO file 7.3 GB in size, I cannot covert it to DMG in windows 7. Tried MagicISO but it only sees 900 mb in OSX install dvd not 7.3GB.

Also tried Transmac and after burning for 1 hour it still didnt work.

3. OneEyedJack macrumors member

If your DVD drive in your MAC is chewing up discs I fail to see how burning a copy off the internet is going to help? I assume your drive is going to eat the burned disc as well, no?

Burning DL discs is definitely hit or miss. I once burned a copy of my navigation disc just to have a backup and it was very involved. If you want specifics on burning DL discs I suggest searching on Audi Navigation disk, RNS-E, or MMI disk.

My advice. Forget burning the disc. Write the image to a memory stick or SDHC card. I would guess that is easier and removes your sketchy drive from the equation.

Oh yeah....breath and try to relax! You will get through this.:)

4. tatical macrumors member

Try using UltraISO, its supposed to support DMG files. You can try using the disc you burned (assuming that it was created correctly) in an external DVD drive.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

That's what I'm thinking. It will ruin any DVD that is put into it.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you call Apple and have them send you replacement disks? I'm pretty sure they'll be happy to help if you explain your situation to them.

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Easiest way to burn ISO file with no programs!

Open Disk Utility in Utilities Folder in Applications Folder.
    Use Keyboard Command: Command+B or Go To File>Burn
    Select the DMG file.
    Put in your Dual Layer DVD and press burn.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

+1

or if you have Toast, use that instead!! Which ever way you look at it, they both have the power to burn. Personally I'll go with alphaod, cause getting a replacement is way cooler!!

9. saxondale. macrumors 6502

Apple will give you a new disc. Did you let OS X verify your disc or did you skip that step?

10. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Ok here is the deal my friends, to remove any misunderstanding.

3 days with no system already. It only happened to OSX Install DVD so Iam not sure that it will do that to all the DVDs its worth a try. I only need to get OSX on it thats all. Funny thing I can still BOOT from that screwed up OSX Install DVD and use Disk Utility but I cannot install the system it fails at the very begining saying unable to copy support files.

Living in Thailand for the last 3 years, here there is no official apple store they have authorized resellers and also service centers but the closest one is 250km away from here. I will need to travel back and forth, which I dont mind but for that I need the system going.

I have downloaded ISO of Snow LEopard (dunno why ISO not DMG) but it was seeded the most in BT. DMG takes me 3 days to Download and it is still at 20%.

Now I cannot burn this ISO on DL DVD I dont know why. UltraISo and MagicISo they see only 900 MB of this DVD. they see only bootcamp and remote install features. So when I burn it it comes out only 900MB in size and is not bootable. If I open through TransMac I can see the whole ISO file BUT when I burn it after 30 minutes the DVD is still blank.

Why is this happening

11. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Just found a person with 2008 Macbook took his Original Leopard install DVD put it in and it hangs the whole computer straight away. WTF?

I tried installing through USB stick, I have 8GB drive and after format to Mac OS extended Journaled its 7.62. I go to disk utility and click restore, source select as my OSX DVD and destination my USB drive. It restores and in the end tells me error writing memory or something like that. So when I restart computer holding Option key it shows USB Drive saying EFI BOOT, I click boot and drive starts flashing but already 1 hour passed and still nothing.

Im starting to hate my MBP, so much money wasted and in my office loads of Windows based PCs that are so much cheaper are just working and Iam in the ass with this state of the art expensive stuff, with no operating system on it.