My mbp died need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nervosA, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nervosA macrumors newbie

I produce music using my 2011 MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 9, native instruments maschine, komplete and a bunch of other CPU intensive vst 's and memeoey intensive sample libraries. Also use an audio interface and midi controllers.

I had the cursed gpu on my 2011 mbp but it's lasted until about a week ago. I'm pretty stressed out about it and now I'm trying to figure out what to get. I'm saving money and will be getting a new computer soon.

It just seems that there isn't anything out there in the Mac world that's all that great. I really do not want to mess with windows even though I know I could build an insane machine. I love Mac OS and it's great for audio.

I want to spend $2000 tops. Less if I can. But there seem to be no options. The new pros are under specced it seems and have no USB ports.

So what should I do?

2. CE3 macrumors 65816

Yeah, MacOS is hard to beat for recording and audio work.

If you don’t need the portability of the MacBook Pro I would check out the 2017 iMac models. I feel like you get more bang for your buck here. You’ll get 4 USB ports and 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, and you can upgrade the RAM yourself. B&H currently has some good iMac deals on their site with no sales tax outside of NY.

Otherwise, if you need to stay with a laptop and want to keep the standard ports, maybe look for a good fully loaded mid-2015 MacBook Pro.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can buy a very good refurbished mac for $2000 it will do any recording you want to do without breaking sweat, you use mac apps and prefer OSX and any 15 inch machine made in the last 4 years will be great for you. The controls on the new touchbar could have been designed specifically for your type of usage (indeed it was) and should speed your workflow if you can stretch to one of the 2016 models.

As above if portability is not an issue then a 27 inch imac is a better buy but I am assuming portability is the issue and therefore you have to make portability trade offs whatever you buy (including cost performance ratios).

I can't see what the issue is, its your job and you need a computer to do it so just buy a computer that's how business works.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I agree with Samuelsan above about a 27" iMac being better for audio production than a MacBook Pro, so long as you don't absolutely need portability.

There's nothing like that big screen for the DAW timeline.

If you want traditional USB-a ports, consider an Apple-refurbished MacBook Pro (13" or 15"). I believe Apple also sells -new- 2015-design 15" MacBook Pro's, too.

If you're going to consider iMac, I'd suggest either the base model or perhaps even the midrange model, BUT...
    ... instead of the fusion drive, get either a 256gb or 512gb SSD, and then add external storage (HDD or SSD) as needed.

5. nervosA thread starter macrumors newbie

A laptop is definitely more ideal because I do also perform with it but I'm not opposed at all to an iMac. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to look into the iMac.
    I use at least 2-5 USB peripherals at any given time : audio interface, midi controllers, external drive (sample libraries.)

I could see the touchbar being a really cool workflow enhancement for midi control or even browsing samples and stuff like that but it's not something I need or am willing to pay more for.

Someone mentioned a 2015 MacBook Pro and I've read somewhere else that they are still a good option. It kinda sucks spending that much on an almost three year old computer but from what I've read they're still going strong. I definitely want to upgrade the RAM. My last machine had 8gb. So 16 would be great. I have yet to dive into the world of ssd so I'm excited about that. I would love to get a machine with the 7th gen i7 in it too !!!

I may just be computerless for a bit longer than I thought. Maybe a month or two to save up what I need to get a good computer.

I've entertained the thought of building a monster pc but I just can't bring myself to move to windows. I won't do it! Mac os is superior in every way possible and especially when it comes to audio.

6. ZapNZs, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

The 2015 model refurb 15-inch, with a 2.5 GHz i7, 16 RAM, 512 GB SSD, and 2 GB dGPU sounds like it is a good fit. It's in stock and under $2k
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-25ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

So is the lower tier model with the 2.2 GHz i7, 256 SSD, and the iGPU-only, at $1700 - buy this model, AppleCare+, and you still come in under budget.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-22ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

Alternatively, the Kaby Lake dual cores ain't too shabby either. Here we have a monster of a processor with single core performance that runs circles around your current system, and multicore performance that is superior to your current quad core. The iGPU runs circles around your dGPU and back. With what you do, the touchbar combined with Better Touch Tool may very well benefit your workflow.
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-Intel-Core-i7-with-Retina-display-Space-Gray

(for that matter, if your current 2011 15-inch is the 2.0 GHz model, the base 13-inch MBP without the touch bar, with it's 2.3 GHz i5 dual core, outperforms your current system by a significant margin.)

7. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

If you just want it working this should do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-2011...889278&hash=item35e483d4a2:g:vhMAAOSw0e9Uy8Xe

8. Gonzbull macrumors member

If you don't need the portability I'd go for a Mac Pro. Get a 5.1 and chuck an SSD in it. I own a recording studio and that's what I use. I upgraded the CPUs to 12 Cores and added more RAM and an SSD.
    Never misses a beat!

9. c10 macrumors newbie

c10

I was in the same situation recently (early 2011 not booting, or giving the 3 beep song). I just bought a new old-stock mid 2015 with 256GB SSD and 16G RAM (I'll probably swap in the 1TB SSD from the old one when I figure out how. I still need Firewire for my audio interface (Alesis iO26) and have a Thunderbolt dock that splits out FW, USB, video, I didn't feel like replacing all of that at once just to get this year's model.

10. nervosA thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow. That's awesome. Do you think it's worth it?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2017 ---
    Yeah I'm looking into my options. I'm saving up right now. I have about $1000. I may get a 2015 or if it's gonna be like 1600 or something I figure I might as well just get a brand new one.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You can't swap the hard drives as the 2015 uses a blade style and a proprietry PCIe connector your old sata ssd just will not fit in the new machine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

12. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

If your laptop did what you wanted of it before then I would say its definitely worth it.

I have a 2011 MBP 17" and I got the GPU replaced under the Apple recall program. Its still going strong and does what I want it to do. I am going to hang on until I see some fundamental changes or my current one stops working.

(Edit if you do keep it probably drop a Samsung Evo 850 SSD in there. When you get a new one you can take it out and use it as a super fast external drive).