My MBP from 2014 can't handle excel sheet

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mivara, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

I've got a huge excel spreadsheet with about 25.000 rows and 3 columns in which I need to search for specific words. The thing is that I can't. Whenever I try to at the moment, Numbers just freezes and I have to shut it down abruptly through Activity Monitor which also freezes in the process.

The spreadsheet is 2.3MB. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Any apps that can do the job more smoothly than Numbers?

2. HotPopsicle macrumors newbie

How about Excel? Hmmmm?

But seriously, google docs should be able to open it too.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Either that or LibreOffice. Another thing that would be good would be to export that into a database application instead of relying on a simpler spreadsheet application.

4. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

title should be more your office application can't handle the spreadsheet. Hate to be nitpicky but the title implies hardware issues. This is software. I work with a variety of files different formats much larger than this no issues. this was on late 11 MBP for a few years, now on a mid 15. Be it R analysis, basic grep based searching if a more text based file in 3rd text editors, etc.

Other things to consider are is this copy of a spreadsheet possibly corrupted? Will the same copy open properly anywhere else? does that anwhere else run M$ office? Can be a case of something is real particular to excel.

If you have access to the source of the file can you have that source export as .csv to import into another application. If the excel source creator (if not you) got creative there could be stuff what you are using is just confused about handling. Export to .csv gets you the raw data (which is what you seem to need to look for things in it). This should import no issues for analysis anywhere else. .csv will at least tell raw data is fine and something in excel formatting may be your issue.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Numbers is horrible regarding compatibility with Excel. I think if you have a fairly complex or large spreadsheet, you'll be better suited using Excel.

6. rc135tx macrumors member

rc135tx

Are you sure you don't have a damaged file and/or a hard drive problem?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Export the file as .csv, and then reimport it into a fresh excel file. That will clear any crazy formatting.

If that doesn't help, try a different spreadsheet app (listed above). 25,000x3 is not that big a file.