My MBP has insomnia...10.5.5 issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macloven, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

This is the first weird thing I've noticed since 10.5.5. When I put the machine to sleep, the light was just steady on. Eventually it started to fade in and out like normal but I could hear the fans running. I had to leave the house...forgot about the issue and came back to a very hot machine with a completely dead battery.

I've now restarted the machine and notice that when it does go to sleep, it takes about 30 seconds to a minute to start the light fade out, and the fans are running until this happens. Maybe this is something new to keep the video GPU cool but it's acting strangely?

This is actually the first OS issue I've had since buying the machine (pretty impressive really) so surprised by this. Plus a little worried as I generally just put it to sleep after work with VMWare etc running...Windows doesn't take kindly to being shut down this way.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mark

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Is it possible that you have an external display attached? The MBP will keep running if you touch the keyboard while it's closed and attached to a display.

[Edit: If you touch an external keyboard, of course. Hehe.]

3. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

Nothing attached, with VMware typically loaded. Before 10.5.5. had shut down everyday using sleep w/o a hitch. In the morning, the battery was maybe a couple % down, but clearly the machine was sleeping nicely.

Mark

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well VMware would prevent sleep sometimes if a VM is running.

5. cubedweller macrumors 6502

My MBP wouldn't sleep. I sent it to Apple and the logic board is being replaced. My screen would dim and appear as if it were asleep. I'd return home to have a dead battery and a really hot machine. I reformatted to see if the problem would be corrected but it persisted.

If it's under warranty I'd send it in and have Apple look at it.

~E

6. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

interesting...did it do it every time? Just tested things and this afternoon it did sleep and was cool after a few hours.

The really interesting part is that about 2 weeks ago they replaced the motherboard (logic board too?) because of a faulty ram slot. So maybe this new board has issues. Does the part of the board with the ram slots include the logic board?

When they replaced it, I purchased the Procare so I can have it looked as immediately at the Apple Store :)

Mark

7. dimme macrumors 65816

8. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Logic board is apple speak for motherboard. It's the same piece.

9. Macloven thread starter macrumors regular

Macloven

Spent some time playing with the sleep function today and here's what is going on.

If I select sleep from the menu, it does seems to sleep. Fans go off after about 30 seconds and it's cool to the touch. Battery life barely drops over time.

If I have it on battery and let it sleep, it doesn't go to sleep mode. Screen goes out, cpu temp goes up to about 160f and the battery dies quickly. In the battery preferences, I have it set to sleep in 3 minutes, but it just sits there baking away. In normal use, I almost never see 160, so pretty weird that it's getting so hot while idle.

Anything I can check in the software, or is it time for a trip to the Apple Store?

thanks,

Mark