Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I know many people say this is normal, but it sure looks bad.

I often like to glance at my laptop while watching TV or doing something else where it is not optimal to have it sitting right in front of you.

I really think the LED screen is a downgrade from the previous screens.

What do you think?

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I don't think so. Okay there are minor issues. The thing you said (doesn't disturb me too much) and the color gradients being not 100% but 98%. I had the service center to change the display because of other issues under warranty. Apple's behaviour was flawless. No discussion at all. Please keep in mind that LED backlight is a complete new technology.

For me personally the advantages still do preveil. The screen is brighter than all the others I know, sharp, uses less power and wakes up very fast. And the most important thing is the proposed extended lifespan without any loss of quality. I've never seen a light emitting diode that has stopped working or lost power without strong external hazard.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I don't think those statements ring true.

1) My macbook seems brighter or at least more crisp.

2) My MBP takes like 2-3 seconds before anything is displayed. Then it displays some blu-ish color before it like loads the color profile (At least that is what it looks like is happening). My macbook comes on almost instantly the moment I pop open the screen. I have reinstalled OSX and the same behavior is present so I assume this is normal.

3) The yellow casting from off angles looks absolutely horrid (Like it is a really crappy display).

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
1) My macbook seems brighter or at least more crisp.

The MBP is two or three steps brighter that a new Sony Vaio of a friend.

2) My MBP takes like 2-3 seconds before anything is displayed.

I would say 1.5 seconds if that matters. After three years my old high-priced (2700 Euro) Sony Vaio needed two minutes or more to get 70% of the brightness it had when I've bought it five years ago. After 4.5 years the backlights were broken. Black screen.

Then it displays some blu-ish color before it like loads the color profile (At least that is what it looks like is happening).

Here the same thing. That behaviour lasts just for an instant and doesn't disturb at all. The colors are brilliant.

3) The yellow casting from off angles looks absolutely horrid (Like it is a really crappy display).

In my honest opinion you are exaggerating. Yes there is a yellow casting from far off angles at light colors but it is not so bad that one wouldn't be able to read the content. There may be screen brands that have a slightly better quality at view angles. When I am watching full screen videos or games I can't see that casting at all!

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
It's odd that I'm not getting this 1.5 second calibration load. My screen pops on with calibration instantly.

There is a yellow cast when looked on at angles beyond 45 degrees, but it doesn't bother me at all since I am almost always in front of the computer.

If the LED quirks bother you that much, I would suggest picking up a different brand. But bear in mind what you stand to lose with what you perceive to gain by switching due to this one quirk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.