My MBP i7 is stuck on NVIDIA graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekmoe, Apr 27, 2010.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I downloaded bitninjas gfx status app (great app btw) and I haven't seen my MBP use the Intel graphics for the past few days. I've tried creating a new user account and it is still using the NVIDIA graphics. It seems like the issue may have started after I installed some drivers for my IOGear ESata Expresscard. But now I can't figure out how to uninstall the drivers to see if the problem goes away. I've checked the Activity Monitor and have tried killing any processes that I can to see if it will revert back to the Intel graphics but I'm not having any luck. Attached is a screen shot of my Activity Monitor. Does anyone see anything that would be causing my MBP to use NVIDIA graphics instead of Intel graphics?

BTW, I installed a blank hard drive and loaded a fresh intstall of Snow Leopard from the cd that came with MBP. When doing this it reverts back to the Intel graphics so I know it is something specific to my environment. I'm just not sure how to figure out what it is.

Attached Files:

2. reini1305 macrumors newbie

In your attached image I see two non standard programs. "Wakoopa Tracker" and "3G Watcher". Have you tried removing them?

3. BlackZ macrumors member

BlackZ

I have the same, I never saw it run on Intel, always on Nvidia even when all my apps are closed for a while.

4. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

Wakoopa Tracker keeps track of my computer usage. 3G Watcher is for my AT&T wireless card. Even with both of these apps closed (as well as any other app), the NVIDIA graphics is still running.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've seen some weird 'helper' apps that trigger the Nvidia GPU. Like someone over at the Apple forums was struggling with this and discovered that the MS Office 'updater' was running in the background, monitoring for updates. For whatever reason, it was triggering the Nvidia GPU full time. Once disabled, Intel GPU kicked on.

6. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Yeah. I still have to use MS Office 2004. It has background tasks for Auto update and Entourage. Those kick mine into Nvida 100% of the time. Quitting those two processes sends me back to Intel.