my MBP i7 runs slower than the MB??!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheeze, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cheeze macrumors newbie

so... after having tonnes of problems with the d-link and linksys routers, i decided to take the plunge and buy the airport extreme. After setting it up in less than 5 minutes, feeling all excited with my new toy i decided to do a speed test using speedtest.net.

pulled out my wife's MB and did the speed test side by side to my i7. To my horror, the wifey's MB at half the price and half the specs pulled out 10MB/s downloads whilst mine did around 7MB/s:eek::eek:. Feeling it might be a fluke win on her side, i did afew more test trying to start both at almost the same time (maybe just milisecs apart). Still.. the MB wins every single round.

Now... is there something that i did wrong or did that machine less than half the price of mine just smoked me miles ahead..

*Note : both MB and MBP were bought on the same day so age wise is the same (about 2 months). My MBP was upgraded to 8GB corsair RAMS and i chucked my 4GB RAMS that came with the MBP into hers.

MBP- 2.66Ghz intel core i7 with 8GB 1067MHz DDR3
    MB- 2.4Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4GB 1067Mhz DDR3

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

why do you think CPU speed would impact network speed?

Network conditions are difficult to replicate exactly, run the same test multiple times over a few days then see what you find.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Network speeds fluctuate constantly. No need to be worried.

4. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

The CPU speed and RAM have nothing to do with your network signal strength...

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

tweak your routers settings to make your computer the priority and bam you now have greater speeds.

also your cpu has nothing to do with your internet speeds.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No worries as your i7 costs over the C2D was still a good idea. You will notice that even when downloading that your CPU will not come even close to peaking (the C2D will be using more though). Try resource heavy programs and you will know where the money went. I wasn't even sure of the ix myself until my friend loaded SPSS (PASW now) in a fraction of time of mine.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't worry man, life can't be all that bad if you are pulling down 10 MB/s (= 80 Mbps) over a residential pipe (unless of course you are in japan. in which case, it's kinda slow).

Anyway, the whitebooks will best any alu book on Wireless speeds, depending on location, thanks to the plastic enclosure.

We need more information. How did you connect? Were you on the 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz band (won't matter for speed, will for distance). Are your clients connecting via 802.11n?

This is what I get, wired and wireless from my 17" MBP.

802.11n 2.4GHz
    [​IMG]

Wired
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you might have a config issue.

8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

did not know this.

I wonder what other materials apple could've used for the body that would yield better results.