my MBP is a total dud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aea, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

A few weeks ago apple had to replace the entire clamshell, today they are ordering parts to replace my logic board, the keyboard and trackpad assembley and the entire bottom case. It's all under AppleCare. They need to replace the bottom because it shocked me and then started peeling apart taking the keyboard with it.

I like apple but I don't want to give my computer up for a weekend again. What should I do, should I contact corporate? To be honest I have little respect in the rest of the system.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Shocked you?

You mean Static shock?
    Due to statically charged body touching a metal object?...
    or electrical shock from the mains outlet?

Photos??

3. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

The shock came from the machine and bulged it out in a certain area (not to mention took the anodizing off).

I can't really get a clear picture, it sticks about a .5mm off. The whole left side of the bottom is peeling apart between the palmrest and the rest of the laptop.

I should also mention that my latch doesn't always work, the Apple guys pegged this on the bulge and I'm inclined to believe this is the cause of the problem.

Can't get a good picture, sorry.

[​IMG]

4. rowlands macrumors newbie

I believe if you had a certain amount of repairs to a machine you should be able to demand a brand new replacement. You'll have to check what that point is. Maybe if this is your 3rd repair in a short time frame, you should start asking about getting a new machine or a refund? Start politely and make sure you have a complete record of all the repairs and who you deal with, it can take a bit of effort, however it can result in a brand new machine without problems :)

Good luck

5. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

I brought this up, the genius told me I was correct, but it had to be the same part getting repaired three times in a 12 month period. Was friendly but in spite the fact that my entire machine will be rebuild (sans, HD, Ram, PSU) he couldn't really help me out. I've heard people having success emailing Steve Jobs (well, his team really), what email should I try if I do that?

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

so you want them to give you a new one then. right?
    they won't do it, so if you want it fixed you will have to do what they want you to. they won't come to your house to fix it. i can't imagine why you need all those things fixed.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68000

aaah, that problem. Well let me ask you a question.

Do this problem occur all the time or only when you plug your MBP to a power supply?

Cause the last time this occur to me is when I connected my MBP to a leaked electrical power supply (extension power plug for me during that time), change the extension power plug and no more static problem.

8. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

Because the genius decided that they were obviously defective and needed to be replaced?

My last encounter with their repair resulted in my order being lost and me having to make several unnecessary trips to the Apple Store.

No, I was only shocked once. It didn't hurt but it took the anodizing right off the case where it happened (and it bulged out in that area).

9. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

His email is sjobs@apple.com

10. MacDrummer macrumors newbie

2 years ago when I took my iBook in for the 3rd time for screen issues they didn't even look at it. They pulled out a form, filled it out and sent me a brand new iBook (with current specs at the time) for free.

Granted I made sure I would take my iBook to the same Genius each time... so he was aware of my issues for over a year.

But I hear 3rd time is a charm with apple.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You're talking to the wrong people. Talk to customer relations, call AppleCare and ask to be redirected.