My mbp is always powered, best battery maintenance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaktimage, Apr 26, 2011.

1. shaktimage macrumors member

Hi, i just bought a new 15" mbp after my 2008 model died (motherboard) I use it 90% of the time with external cinema display 23"(no power plug for mbp) external keyboard, mouse etc,... So because of the external display i have to keep the laptop powered all the time. I have been told it kills the battery. So what to do? Disconnect the laptop and discharge the battery completely once a month? Thank you for your advises!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

nah, so long as you keep exercising the battery, ie. draining and charging it often, you will be fine.

3. Treeman574 macrumors regular

It's fine as long as you let it run off the battery once every 2-4 days. With an external monitor plugged in, the battery won't last long anyway.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

5. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Maybe he means that it uses extra power to drive a higher resolution external display? Not sure if it does but that is what I took him to mean.

6. mape2k macrumors regular

The external display forces the ATI graphic to be enabled all the time, thus draining the battery faster.

7. simsaladimbamba

And then there is this:

8. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Once a month wont cut it...

My girlfriend has a one and half year old laptop that is addicted to the power cable simply because she kept it in all the time to begin with... yes, it will burn down the battery. And this goes for all items. I have an iPod mini that doesn't work anymore because I left it charging too log (yeah... at that time I didnt bother taking it with me, just sat there.)

So bite the dust and stick to recharging once it's down quite a bit.

9. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

the responses trying to find out why he has it plugged in are funny. If he is using a display and has the computer closed then he has to run it off the wall plug. It will not operate closed with an external display unless plugged in.

10. himesh macrumors regular

Doesn't the new MBP's automatically switch to the external power source when the battery is fully charged? So not overcharging the battery, well at least mine says it does...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All Mac portables... not just new ones and not just MBPs... stop charging the battery when it's full.

12. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

so you can leave it plugged in all the time without issue?

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

It will degrade the battery health over time. Read the FAQ.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.
    If you read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted in post #7, it really will answer most, if not all, of your battery-related questions:

15. BuckyN8 macrumors newbie

16. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

I got my MBP since june 2009 and it's on power most of the time.
    When I travel it's not, obviously, so I drain the battery watching series.

According to coconut my battery is still at 100% with 132 cycles.

17. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

18. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

Just got back online... Thanks for all answers. So to reply to the question: why do i always keep the charger connected when i use the computer? Simply because with a external cinema display 23" it will just not work unless the power adapter is plugged. I live part time in India where power failure is very usual, and i had to plug the laptop through the inverter/UPS so juice will be provided during the power failure.
    So no i cannot unplug my computer, this new baby will be connected to power almost all the time. Now i wonder if draining the battery completely one a month (or once a week?) will prevent it from dying too fast

19. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

ok, just read Apple notebook FAQ. All is there Thanks so much!