my MBP is in transit back to Shanghai?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by james138, May 26, 2011.

1. james138 macrumors newbie

im tracking my MBP through fedex and it went from shanghai,cn to memphis,tn and then back to shanghai,cn?! i live in california. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if i should be worried.

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Unless they changed their logistics, all general international packages for FedEx still go through their Memphis hub, so that is normal.

I would call Apple. The shipment was likely damaged. You could also call FedEx.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal. Relax. It will get to you when it's supposed to.

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I don't know why you guys are saying that this is normal, I've never seen any of my packages from Apple shipped back to China after they come stateside.

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

The shipping info fedex provides for apple packages is really unreliable for whatever reason. Mine said it was in shangai on a tuesday evening, i got it in new york wednesday at 10 AM. The times were also messed up. After waiting a few days it showed it was in Tennessee then in china then back in China. It shows fine now. I'd call apple to find out .

6. Randizzledante macrumors regular

I'm glad hear others are having problems, cause I'm having a terrible time with my fed ex shipping status.

If I may hijack this thread briefly, for those of you who have received your packages early, was it before you "estimated delivery date" provided by fedex? And if so, did they ever update the status page so that you could be home to sign for it?

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

My Shipment (Queensland, Australia) arrived almost a week before the estimated delivery date.

8. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Oh wow, well that certainly gives me hope. I suppose I'll just cross my fingers and hope I'm home. Rather have it early and need to go pick it up then have it be delivered when they're quoting me.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why not just have a little faith in the ETA provided by FedEx? This isn't there first rodeo you know.

It's funny how many of these threads pop-up. If you didn't pay for overnight, then just chill out and it'll be there when it's there.

10. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did pay for their expedited shipping. And right now, my estimated delivery date is beyond even the latest date that Apple quoted me. Thus, I am fairly unhappy, but perfectly "chill."

Luckily Apple has refunded my shipping cost, so it's not like it's a huge deal. But I did choose expedited shipping for a reason, so I'm a bit disappointed.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

My bad, I didn't know that.

12. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

No worries ;)

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yeah it sucks when that kind of thing happens. And unfortunately it happens a lot. But it's really Fedex's fault. Too bad carriers like UPS, USPS, and Fedex are totally unapologetic about that kind of thing and really offer no recourse beyond refunding your extra shipping expense, which they do without hesitation. Carriers are a pain in the butt.

14. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

While I understand the angst associated with waiting for a package; what more can a carrier reasonably do besides refund the shipping costs? After all, the delay may not even be their fault; a simple thing as a weather delay or other air traffic control issue could make a plane late to the hub and result in late packages.
    As for it happening a lot; given most of these carriers on time delivery rates are in the nineties I'd say it isn't happening a lot. To me, it's pretty amazing tha they can deliver as many packages as they do on time.

15. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Is it the actual package or did they just receive the shipping / customs info? Generally it's the departure and arrival scans that track the package but the tracking info also shows the other info that's electronically sent as well.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think that's all they can do. It's just hard to wait for something you're excited about, like a new computer.

17. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Exactly. Every person, every business makes mistakes. Most honest businesses will indeed try to correct it as well.

I think the reason a shipping error is particularly annoying, however, is because it is not fixable. Sure, you'll probably get your charge refunded. But when it comes down to it, you're not getting your item when you expected/were originally promised. Depending on your reasons and needs for purchasing faster shipping, an $18 refund may not even come close to compensating for the time lost.

Luckily my particular problem has more to do with impatience, and less with business deadlines :p principle still applies though.

18. james138 thread starter macrumors newbie

its here!

just an update..i called fedex yesterday and asked them why it went from china to memphis then back to china.. they said they had no idea why that info was on the fedex website and that its not always accurate. so i know now to just call a csr if i want to know the actual location. the mbp arrived today (a week early!) and i couldnt be any happier right now

19. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Nice, congrats! Haha, I'm starting to think I would have gotten my MBP sooner if I had chosen regular shipping :rolleyes:

20. nzalog macrumors 6502

Haha, I have the exact same tracking info on my MacBook Pro that was customized with more ram... No idea why it went back to Shanghai after it was in Memphis. :confused: Glad I'm not the only one...

EDIT: Whoops should of seen that date on the thread I just brought back form the dead... Sorry!