my mbp is slowly self destructing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gelatin, Jun 1, 2011.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

been having a bit of a nightmare lately with my MBP (mid 2008)
    the last couple of days it has been crashing out of nowhere. not even a beach ball. the mouse and keyboard freeze, cant do cmd alt esc. also the airport just switches off and i cant turn it back on
    i have to restart the whole thing to get it to work again.
    it got even worse. restarted it but wouldnt boot up properly. i had to restart several times to get it to work.

bit strange as it goes from working perfectly to being really awful now.

took my mac into the apple store.
    they had a look at it, it wouldnt crash when i took it in. they did a hardware test which said everything was fine. they did stress tests on the cpu and it was fine. typical :rolleyes:
    they cleared a load of cache and stuff on the mac and i will have to see if that has fixed the problem.

they couldnt figure out why the airport wouldnt turn on without actually seeing it happen
    also took in my exploded battery in the hope they would replace it. nope

a few days on now and its still crashing for no reason. im watching activity monitor to see what it could be and i dont see anything pushing the cpu too hard.
    the airport goes off and even disappears. in system profiler is says airport is not installed. i have to restart several times in order for airport to work again.
    and now it wont charge.

i hope this wont cost too much to repair. otherwise i might just get a new one
    any ideas how much apple repairs usually cost?

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I would clone the system drive and then do a clean install of Mac OS X and see if you still have problems.

3. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont have enough space on my externals and i doubt i have enough battery power left to do it. ive backed up everything important that i need and im gonna take it in for them to have a look again

4. 0815 macrumors 68000

did you (or the Apple people) try the usual stuff like repairing disk permissions?

Also: I had with my iMac a few years ago the problem of random crashes. At some point I figured out it only happend when the machine had run for several hours, not when it was 'cold'. I waited until it was cold, made a disk clone, made an appointment with the AppleStore the next day and made sure it was running for hours (=hot) when I brought it there - they were able to fix it (harddrive had turned bad)

5. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i repaired it just before i took it in.
    good point about running hot. it does usually start crashing towards the end of the night.

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

could be hanging cause of overheating kind of like the first gen xbox 360s :D