My MBP is still making a sound even though I'm not moving it around.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Aug 20, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I have set my MBP on a stable surface, yet it still produces a small tick sound every 15 seconds or so.

Another user posted this in my previous thread:

"It may also be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M

Just take the bottom casing off and remove the black piece will two little silver pokey things. haha I don't know how else to describe it. It scratches against the bottom casing when there is pressure on the bottom. I don't understand why its there but taking it out does nothing. "

So it could also be some part/surface doing friction with the case's bottom. What should I do?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It could be your hard drive. Where did you isolate the sound to?

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking from over the keyboard, to the bottom right "quarter" of the MBP.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sorry, not really familiar with how current models are laid out so I won't be able to say for sure. The worse thing is that it's the hard drive. They tend to start making clicking sounds right before dying. Hopefully it's not that.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was told at first that it was the motion sensor locking the hard drive in place. But right now there's no movement at all, and that tick is still going. My 2010 13" MBP is only about a month old or so.

6. bamf macrumors 6502

Like Vincenz said, that is the area where the hard drive sits. If it's making a noise, that could be an indication of a problem coming soon. I'd say you should back everything up and then visit a Genius bar if you have an Apple store nearby.

You can also open up the bottom of the computer (it's only 10 screws and it's very easy) and see if there is something loose in that area before making the trek to a store.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that safe to do? Wouldn't that void any warranties?

8. bamf macrumors 6502

If you have an aluminum unibody (2009 or 2010) MBP, then the hard drive and memory are considered "user serviceable". You have to take off the bottom of the MBP to get to both of them, so no you would not void your warranty doing so.

If you have a 2008 (or older) "plastic" MBP, then the HD is technically not user serviceable (and i believe it may not be in the spot you've indicated the noise is coming from anyway).

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. demonguard macrumors newbie

if you close the videos when you're done, the MBP will cease to make noises after jerking it.

11. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

there was a plastic mbp?

12. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

OP, if you are still worried. bring it to an apple store and see what they say. The only sound I get is when the HD is running and this is a spinning noise. I am not aware of any clicking sounds, etc.

13. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I guess I'll take it to the apple store if needed.

14. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Your not crazy i have a 15" i7 and have the same sound and i have an SSD in the computer so it is not the harddrive. It almost sounds like a fan the just clips something every 15-30 secs. I haven't yet opened my computer up yet but its interesting to see i'm not the only one with this issue.

15. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

The issue with bringing it to the apple store is that you would have to have everyone in the store stop what they are doing for a min just to hear the sound. It is a very faint noise at least for mine.

Wow i just watched your video and man is yours bad. Mine is every 15-30 secs sometimes. That would drive me crazy. Bring it in to the apple store and get that checked out. Let everyone know what they find.

16. ccashman92 macrumors regular

17. bamf macrumors 6502

Yes. I had an early 2008 and it was not aluminum. Handed it down to one of my employees recently and she loves it. It's no i5 though... ;)

18. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Browse around the forum. There are quite a few people who have the same type of problem. Most the time, it is still the motion sensor. Sometimes the sensor is just to sensitive. Do your palms rest on the computer when you use it? If it's too sensitive, even that can mess with it. There is a way to reduce the sensitivity of it, but I can't quite remember how it's done. Which is why you should browse around the forums :) haha

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

20. MiniDragon macrumors newbie

Yeah, I opened up my 13" today, and was disappointed to say the least. Don't know where the sound is coming from, but its annoying as hell.

21. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, it's a slight sound, it couldn't be the hard drive could it?

22. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, took my MBP to Best Buy's Geek Squad, the diagnose took less than a minute. I was told that it was perfectly normal for the MBP to make sounds once in a while. And that it could be a combination of motion sensor, hard drive, some gyro spinning, plus some drive fragmentation taking place over time.

23. demonguard macrumors newbie

and did they charge you $100 for this google diagnosis?