My MBP Just Froze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So my MBP is 1.5 weeks old and it just froze for the first time.
    I was double clicking on something a BAM!...the mouse wasn't moving (no response from keyboard either) for about 5 minutes before I held down the power button and it restarted fine (no problem).

Is this normal? And is there a CTRL-ALT-DEL like command that overrides freezing like Windows does? So I could just Kill whatever wasn't responding?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Cmd + Opt + Esc brings up the Force Quit box.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

That's a bad sign. Were programs still running? Was the clock being updated? When you restarted, was there a message about the machine having crashed?

4. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Nothing was updating. Some programs were running, but nothing overworking anything. There was no message but when I opened Safari again the same webpage I was on re-opened. I thought the mouse was acting up (but nothing responded).

When I held down the power button and it asked if I wanted to restart I still couldn't move the mouse.

I mean, everything seems to be working fine now.
    (I couldn't prove it to Apple any ways.) But I have the 1 year warranty through Apple (that's who I'd go to first) and 3 Year Accidental + Hardware SquareTrade one too.

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

So your computer didn't actually freeze. The part to suspect, then, is your top case. Often, when this kind of thing happens, USB errors show up in the logs.

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

How can I check this...and top case? (Sorry I'm kinda a n00b)
    But should I just keep watching it? I did some heavy activity on it yesterday afterwards and it did just fine.

(I saw your sig and got a little scared since you're a pro with these things lol)

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

It might have nothing to do with what happened to you, but my girlfriend's MBP's hard drive was clicking bad, went to back it up before it failed; right when I plugged in the USB2.0 drive, the mouse and keyboard stopped. The computer still worked, because when I would plug and unplug the external it would show up on the desktop.

Had apple replace the HDD, and haven't had that problem since. I don't really understand why it happened, just wanted to throw it out there because it sounds similar to what happenened to you(not the External HDD part, but keyboard/mouse).

8. Detrius macrumors 68000

The top case is the top half of the case of the body of the laptop. On a new machine, it includes the keyboard (possibly the trackpad) and the circuitry that connects these two USB devices to the logic board. If that circuitry flakes out, your keyboard and trackpad stop responding, but the computer keeps running.

Open Console.app and look for any USBF errors. Between the errors and the addresses listed in System Profiler, you may be able to figure out the specific device.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

If the problem starts happening again Apple would fix it (within the year warranty) correct?

Everything beens responding great so I'm just hoping it was a fluke.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

When you said mouse, did you mean the trackpad pointer or an actual mouse pointer? I ask, because I have had a Bluetooth Mouse go bad and the entire keyboard and trackpad would freeze and be overridden by the errant BT mouse. If I would restart it would be fine for a while, but if the system went idle for too long or to sleep, it would freeze during resuming. The computer would respond fine, but the keyboard and trackpad were frozen. When I took it to Apple they tried it on another machine and it did the same thing, replaced my BT mouse and everything has been fine since.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Trackpad. So I don't think that's the problem with mine.

12. Detrius macrumors 68000

If it's the top case, it'll happen again. If it was just software, it may not.

13. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Let someone at the apple store take a look it could be an easy fix!

14. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It hasn't happened again so I wouldn't know what to show them. Everything's been clicking and working fine now,

15. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c