My MBP Purchasing Delimma...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWest, Feb 27, 2008.

?

What should I do?

  1. Otption A: Wait

    51 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Option B: Buy one now

    37 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. JWest macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #1
    I'm really in a pickle here. Here's the situation:

    I'm getting a MBP for college (the mid-range $2500 model, with student discount), but I feel that I am at a crossroads. With the montevina update just around the corner (June, if the rumors are correct), buying one now feels like a stupid decision. The MBP I'm getting is supposed to be a graduation present (I am paying for half BTW), so my parents are reluctant to buy until my graduation, which is June 4th. WWDC starts June 8th, just days after graduation, and the montevina MBP could very well be released then. On the other hand, that is a lot of waiting to do, and we don't know for sure when the montevina update is coming. My parents might buy it for me a bit earlier (if I beg and plead :p), which would mean I get myself a new machine to mess with at an earlier date. Before I get to my point, here's what I do with my machine:

    - I'm majoring in graphics technology (aka graphic design), which means I need a powerful computer if I want to do work outside of class

    - I'm also a gamer, and I'd like a laptop that can perform favorably on the games I throw at it. Mostly I'm concerned about Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. It's not playable on my current iMac (though the original SupCom is), and I'd like my future computer to play it well. The current MBP's ought to fair nicely, but an updated MBP would be even better.

    For these reasons, I am rather concerned with having the latest tech.

    Unfortunately, I'm also impatient :D I've been waiting so long to finally get my own computer, and it's really killing me. I CAN'T TAKE IT *huff *huff *huff......

    Ok, so I don't mean to sound like a spoiled bastard, but I reall would like to have my computer as soon as possible, but I can wait if necessary. Which brings me (long winded, I know) around to my point: I have two options, and they have been battling each other in my mind like crazy. They are (yes, another colon):



    Option A: Wait. Montevina MBP's are almost certainly coming out at WWDC, just days after your graduation. Your parents would rather wait until then, so why don't you? Montevina will bring even faster processors, a FSB speed bump from 800 MHz to 1066 MHz, and state-of-the-art DDR3 RAM. Plus, you'll likely get a new video card (9600M GT maybe?), Blu-Ray, and to wrap it all up, an all-new case, redesigned specifically for all that new hardware. You don't really want to miss out on all this just because you were impatient do you? Make the right decission. You don't need the computer now, so just wait. You'll be happy you did. Get the computer you'd be truly proud of owning, rather than jumping the gun and getting a machine you'll only be disappointed with a few months later.

    Option B: If you can convince your parents, then why not buy now? It's a great machine. You'll get a fast laptop that will run everything you want it to run, and you'll get it sooner. It's a perfectly capable machine, why wait? If you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never ended buying the machine you want! Besides, do you really want to wait all this time just to end up with buggy revision A hardware? Not a chance. Just go for it. Buy it now.




    AAHHH!! It's a painful decision, and I'm not really sure what to do... so with that, my comunity, what do you suggest? Option A, or option B?
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Please don't try laptop gaming. It's so much cheaper to get a MacBook and a cheap gaming tower. Wait until Montevina and the back-to-school free iPod rebate as well.

    Hint: I speak from experience
     
  3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
  4. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #4
    I'm not a super hard core gamer, but I do like to game. I want one computer that'll take care of everything. MBP's are perfectly capable gaming machines (though they're not ULTRA SUPER GAMING LAPTOPS, I know). That's not my dilemma. I know that I'm getting an MBP, that decision is one I've already made.
     
  5. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #5
    I'm voting for wait. While we don't know about things like blu-ray, re-design and whatever it's usually a good idea of following the "buy it when you need it" philosophy. Right now you don't need it, so why give up the potential of such great things for nothing? You'll pay for it when you start using it for the stuff you do need it for.

    I can picture in my head the situation where you buy it now, and you're sitting in class next to another student who waited till WWDC and your face being green with envy :p

    Eidorian brings up a good point too. If you're going to be doing graphic intensive things maybe a desktop would suit your needs better? For $2500 you can get your self a beast of a MacPro! This is assuming you don't need it for taking notes in class and whatnot.

    Edit: I see you already answered Eidorian's point :) Even though it would help in just general graphic design, not just gaming...
     
  6. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #6
    Yup :) I want a powerful, portable computer that'll be my go-to machine- my "do everything" machine. What could be better than the MBP? :)

    And yes, I fully understand the buy it when you need it philosophy. The logical part of me is telling me to be smart and wait. The impatient "ZOMG!! MUST HAVE NU EMMBEEPEE!!!" part of me is telling me to get it now, hehe :p
     
  7. MurphyM macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #7
    I wouldn't be wild about getting a first gen version of a redesigned case. If there even is going to be a redesigned case this summer. The current case has been out for some time and the kinks are more or less worked out.

    You know more about the Intel road map than I do. It sounds like Montevina means a lot to you. There's always another processor around the corner - but this one seems like a milestone from what you wrote. Might be worth waiting for.

    I can tell you're tempted to buy now - but it might be more satisfying to wait. If Montevina wasn't just a bump in Ghz I'd say buy now. But if that RAM means something to you then you should wait.
     
  8. eddy64 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    #8
    I'm kind of in your same dilemma (although I don't really play games). Anyways, I decided to wait it out. My PC atm is more than enough and I KNOW I would regret buying the laptop now especially if they come out with a redesign. Remember, this is a $2500+ machine that will last you a while. Do you really want to seem out dated just due to impatience?
     
  9. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #9
    Haha! Yeah I know EXACTLY how you feel! Okay, what I'm about to tell you never leaves room k? Pinkie promise? Sweet!

    When I was in your position (1.5 years ago) I did something really really really stupid. The 1.83MBP was just replaced by the 2.13 (I think...well whatever, it was just updated by whatever came after it) so the university store put 'em up on sale. It was $1899 (instead of $1999) and it JUST fit my budget when you included taxes. At the time I was saving money for it and after all the bills and what not I was saving about $50/month (even though I was raking in $500/week, oh those pesky bills!).

    Well me being Mr. Impatient pants decided to buy it instead of wait 2 months, which would've still been before school started, to buy the new model. Boy did I regret it. Stupidest move of my life! I just really really really wanted it. But yeah...it was a stupid movie and I regretted it. So much in fact that I decided to sell it an buy the 2.2 SR in order to get rid of the shame that accompanied it (thankfully I sold it for such a good price that I only paid like $200 to upgrade, making me feel a lot better :D).

    But yeah, sorry for the long winded story but the summary is this: Trust me, wait. I went through what you're feeling and I failed and paid the price later. It's seriously not worth the "if I only waited" pangs.
     
  10. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #10
    Hehe, thanks for the advice. I know I should wait... but damn am I ever tempted :p
     
  11. LVdustin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #11
    You were in the same position then I was 3 years ago when I first bought my mac, I am one of the first gen Macbook Pro users. and I finally purchased my second Macbook Pro yesterday.


    Here is the deal dude, you have to expect major revisions every few months, with me, the reason I bought one now, was because there is so many differences between first gen, and now, including the monitor, wireless card, processor going from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo, and a different touch-pad.


    Chances are if you wait for the new processor, that's all you will get probably, a re-design shouldn't be considered at all from Apple. They usually keep their designs for a few years, I mean the iMac finally got re-designed after having the same design for what...almost 5 years? So you have to be dependent on a processor revision, and with no new technical advanced rumors going around for the new Macbook Pro's in WWDC, then I can just tell you now, to get it now.

    You will love your Macbook Pro, and trust me, you will have it kicking for years till end, and it will be able to kick ass at the things you do most.

    Don't be disappointed when revisions hit, instead, think about it like this, while everyone is buying the new revisions, later on you will be able to beat them out by buying the latest and greatest, while everyone has the older one.

    Seriously, my Macbook Pro was a present for me graduating as well, and it's still keeping up, I just need something with a little more power for Final Cut Studio 2 since I am a filmmaker, and to get rid of my hardware defects.

    Seriously bro, if you want to wait till June, go for it when you need it the most.

    If you want it now, and can utilize it, then go for it now, you honestly have nothing to loose.
     
  12. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

    Adokimus

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2007
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    Wait for a few reasons. One, I think Montevina MBPs will be out before you start college and they will have some significant improvements to last you the next 4 years. Two, by the end of summer there will be the "back to school mac + ipod" deal. And three, you didn't graduate yet. Rewards are always sweeter when you've earned them. Sounds lame, but true.
     
  13. DrSteven macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #13
    I say buy now... you will be getting a final spec, tried and true MBP design.

    with a major revision such as the MBA, you will see teething problems.

    just my 2cents.
     
  14. Rivix macrumors 6502a

    Rivix

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    #14
    I'm a graphic designer as well, and need a MBP. I'm planning to wait. Its only 4 months away, and if your in school right now, time usually flies. And in the Fall you'll be the coolest kid with a re-design. :cool:
     
  15. Rivix macrumors 6502a

    Rivix

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    #15
    Do you really think Apple will do a mac + ipod deal right after a big update?
     
  16. LVdustin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2007
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #16

    I remember last year, they did it for the old iPods, because the new ones just came out, it was a great way to clear out their old nano stock.
     
  17. ckeck macrumors 6502a

    ckeck

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #17
    Buy now, because if they do a major revision you won't want a first generation model, which will push your purchase back another 6+ months while you wait for the second revision of the new supposed case design.

    Its a never ending battle...the new updates are great and its an extremely powerful machine. A slight increase in clock and bus speed with the new chips later this year won't make much of a difference. But if there is a new case as well, there could be early adopter issues.
     
  18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #18
    I'm in the exact same situation as you! But, I'm leaning towards waiting till June because:
    1) although the current mbps has awsome specs, the design is 4 years old. There won't be a wow factor when showing it off. People can't tell the difference between a 1.83 core duo and a 2.4 penryn mbp
    2) the trackpad was not increased in size making the multitouch trackpad not worth it
    3) the updated model will most definitely get a new graphics card ( better for gaming!)
    4) higher res screens with hd resolution may become an option for better videos and more space to work on when using programs like cs3 or other graphic artist apps5) Blu ray?? More USB ports?

    Even if the montevina upgrade ends upnbeing crappy, you'll be sure to get great penryn refurbs by then
     
  19. spaceballl macrumors 68030

    spaceballl

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #19
    I'd wait - it's always good to get your laptop right before you go to college - something feels good about plunking that brand new laptop down on that dorm room desk :).

    Plus, it'll be newer then and if you're on a college budget, you probably won't be getting a new one every year so you'll want it to last - i.e. buying the most recent version would be wise.
     
  20. mbrydone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #20
    Aside from the gaming, i am having a very similar dilema! Im going to college ext year too and am getting a MBP...I'm definately going to wait, if they don't update them...free ipod nano! lol:D
     
  21. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #21
    This is so tough! I know I should wait til June, but the current ones are already so powerful... I hate fast-paced technology :p
     
  22. Rivix macrumors 6502a

    Rivix

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    #22
    If your like me, you'll also need software like iwork, photoshop, illustrater, ext. So best you start saving now, then you can buy them at once latter.
     
  23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #23
    don't bet your "pair of you know what" with that!
    4 yrs?? try 6months-1 yr
    advancement in technology is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAST
     
  24. JWest thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #24
    Well technically I could by the computer now and the apps later ;)
     
  25. daysgoby macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #25
    I'm in university and needed laptop too just bought it online yesterday, the same mid range mbp. I couldn't care less about the update in june since I know I will be using alot till june and more. If u need a laptop now for work/school/etc, get it now. I also do freelance photography on the side so this laptop is gonna save alot of troubles.
    If ur new to Mac, it be a nice learning curve if u get it now.
     

Share This Page