My MBP Serial Number is Missing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacRacer, May 30, 2010.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

I recently had my MBP taken to the Geek Squad to have the optical drive replaced under the extended warranty through BestBuy (which I didn't know I was getting BestBuy's warranty, not the AppleCare). When I sent it in, they replaced the bottom casing, optical drive, and the logicboard. When I got it back, I noticed that my serial number for my MBP is missing, they didn't enter the number when they replaced the logicboard. Is there a way so I can personally enter my serial number back into my MBP. I figure if I go back to BB, they will send my MBP off to the service center in Kentucky or something.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Black Apple on the top left of the tool bar>About This Mac>More Info (launches System Profiler) Listed under "Hardware"...

EDIT: ok, I get it...it is not listed in system profiler...sorry...

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't make much sense to me to go to the trouble of having the serial number put on there again, but you can check the serial number by going to Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info. The Serial Number is in the Hardware Overview.

4. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

Take it back and get them to finish the job they started, the lazy, overpriced scoundrels.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Sorry to say, but serves you right for going to BestBuy. You can still view your Serial Number by doing this:

- In the top left of your screen, click the apple
    - click "about this mac"
    - between the big bold "Mac OS X" and "Software update" you will see "Version 10.X.XX"
    - click where it says "Version 10.X.XX" twice, and your serial # will be revealed.

6. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

o0o fancy way. i just looked at mine via: apple logo -> about this mac -> more info.. -> highlight HARDWARE -> look for serial #

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

If they replaced the logic board and the bottom case, the serial # could be lost for good if it was a unibody. The serial # is on the bottom case for the unibody instead of the inside by the battery on the older models (check here if you have an older model). Also sounds like the OP has looked in About This Mac, but it could be blank as the serial # has to be entered onto/into the new logic board during the repair for it to show up there.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If his logic board was replaced theres a good chance the original serial number is toast.

The original serial number is also on the box the laptop came in.

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That is cool...thanks DP! :D

10. trondah macrumors 6502

Authorized repair shops have access to a software tool that will let you "burn in" the serial number. It can only be used one time for a logic board I think. When the logic board is replaced they need to run it. Just return the laptop and tell them that they forgot about it.

11. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

TO: miles01110, the serial number is not there any more, i will post a pic.

TO: DesmoPilot, An Apple Store is about an hour of driving from where I live and the BestBuy is way closer to me. I didn't notice that I bought the damn Geek Squad warranty until a couple months later. it was my first time buying a Mac. But the way the warranty works with them, I am happy with it. I get one charger replacement, one battery replacement, accidental damage replaced if it is causing usage issues (like if i drop it and it messes up a usb port, it will get fixed, along with the case, and it was only one hundred dollars more than the applecare) , and its the same length of time with applecare.

TO: creator2456, it is not a unibody mbp. It is a late-2008 model. A1260 is my model.

TO: trondah, that is what i though, but i hate for it to be sent off to a repair center just for that. I would be out with my MBP for another week again. :(

Attached Files:

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

My Rev A MBP had the logic board replaced and they didn't put the serial # in. I had no problem getting service afterwards.

Just look inside the battery compartment for it and write it down next time you power off. Then create a text document with just the serial # and save it so you have easy access to it while the computer is on.

13. haiggy macrumors 65816

Same thing happened to me... and I got it repaired at an APPLE AUTHORIZED RESELLER that strictly sells and repairs Macs. Doesn't matter if it's BestBuy or not, it happens.

I haven't gotten mine fixed yet but when I was on the phone with AppleCare for my battery he asked for my S/N. I said I got my logic board replaced and it was gone and he said I can take it into the shop and they can re-add it for me (I guess they can input any serial number with some software change).

Anyways, take it in and they should do it for you.

14. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

Even though it is two years old as of June 18?

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That is normal after replacing the logic board.

Nothing to worry about.

The Serial Number is still on the chassis after all.

16. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone.

I didn't realize there was another serial number under the battery compartment. As long as there is some identification, I am happy.