My MBP sounds like it's eating a cd when I put it in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by None Such, Oct 3, 2007.

1. None Such macrumors 6502

Is that normal?

It's been like that since I bought it and I thought it sounded odd but never asked anyone about it. It works fine however.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yes, it is rather loud whirring sound when putting it in/taking it out. It's normal, ever since earlier Powerbooks.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's normal. it's also normal to for the computer to make that same noise when waking up from sleep.

4. klymr macrumors 65816

I also wondered about mine. I thought the thing was going to self destruct the first time I put a disc in. Wow is that thing loud! I just didn't bother asking about it since it seems to function properly otherwise.

5. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

The sound it makes is a (in my best mbp impression) "reer reer reer chomp chomp" It does the whirring sound when reading a disc as well, which everyone mentioned. Is the sound I described(very poorly) normal as well?

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

My DVD drive in my Acer is messed up. If your computer is vibrating pretty bad, then no, that's not normal. It means that your DVD/CD is off balance. As to why it's off balance, I can't tell you.

7. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

HAHAHA YES! exactly how I felt. sounds like mine is normal then.

8. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not vibrating. It just sounds like it's literally chomping the disc.

9. klymr macrumors 65816

Weeeeee....Cronk Cronk Cronk...weeee...cronk cronk...weee...cronk...

Like that?

10. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah something like that. it just seems louder and i just hear the chomping when inserting a disc.

11. triddent222 macrumors regular

Those folks at Apple have no class. That's why I taught my MBP better manners. You are not supposed to make any sounds while eating. That's gross.

<spanks>Bad MBP</spanks>

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I laughed so hard at the thread title.

I asked a similar question recently, and it is evidently normal for your MacBook to make TERRIFYING SOUNDS.

13. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha I'm glad you were amused. I aim to please. What I laughed so hard at was klymr's post becasue it's so true. That's exactly how I felt the first time i put a cd in it. My wife was standing there when it first made that sound with this look on here face like, "yeah, you're right this $2,500 laptop was so much better than that $400 laptop that was on sale at Circuit City."

14. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

if i recall correctly... somewhere on the apple support pages, there is a FAQ for the portable machines that apple makes and actually has sound clips of what it is SUPPOSED to sound like. Very chomp chomp chomp indeed. Apparently they had enough people ask that same question they had to address teh crazy sounds :)

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

My my. If only we had some real recordings to go off of;)

16. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

don't worry.... perfectly normal. i know exactly what you are talking about. I actually went to an apple store and loaded a cd into every one of their display mbp's and every one did the exact same thing. yeah, it freaks me out every time too but every mbp i've seen does it.

17. None Such thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha, oh man. You gave me a good laugh. It's funny picturing that through someone else's eyes. Well I personally love my own impersonation. It's more fun. And just for the record it sounds exactly like "sample 1" of "inserting a disc".

18. Tofaha macrumors 6502

lmaooo
    thank you :p

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually, your attempts did make me smile, and considering the stress I was under, it was welcomed:) I'm also glad that you now have proof that this is "normal" on the part of your macbook pro.

20. klymr macrumors 65816

I actually thought of those sound recordings when I first read the topic title, but didn't want to search for them. My MBP also makes a sound that is rather loud that is not included in those recordings. It sounds a lot like the spinning up an idle disc, only it makes a lot more noise, and not from the motor spinning. It sounds like it might be from the motor that moves the laser in and out. Maybe I should attempt to record it and figure out how to post it.

21. Iced Angel macrumors regular

and it's really annoying !! specially when you are in class, everybody is quiet and you just open your laptop to note something ... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR ... and then people are looking at you :D

22. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

LMAO. The first time I opened my MacBook I though it was defective! How come PC laptops with the normal drives don't do that?

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Because PC laptops have drives that are noisy when you decide to click on them and open them. Plus they usually take up a bit more space. Although I agree with the poster above who said that in class it can really be awkward. Thank god more than half of the people in my classes use Macs!:)

24. dumoon macrumors newbie

nuther vote for 'sample 1'....just played that on my dell notebook at work and my right elbow, which had been resting on the desk in front of the right side of the computer, reflexively jerked away from the 'exiting disc' :p

25. Liamf555 macrumors member

Liamf555