My MBP Spotlight/search isn't working.. any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 25, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

My MBP 17 (2.6 GHz, model 4.1) with  128 SSD isn't finding files which are definitely on my drive. Seem to only find files on the desktop, but not in sub folders for some reason. Any ideas why? Is it the SSD thats not indexing properly?

How can I reset or fix this. Its becoming annoying

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

snap shots of my spotlight panels..

Attached Files:

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That is very odd... I have no clue why Spotlight does that... Open a new Finder window, and then try to use the little search icon thingy in the corner. See if that works.

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Yes, really Odd. I think its the SSD causing this. I will try resetting this from advice from  discussion forums

5. GA84 Guest

Have you tried rebuilding the Spotlight-index? You can use MainMenu to do this.

Good luck.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Or onyx

7. gnite21 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same trouble with spotlight. I've re-indexed with Onyx, and still nothing when I try to search.

8. MidCityMac, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

MidCityMac macrumors newbie

Performed Firmware update and Spotlight no longer finds files!

If anyone knows how to fix this since the last post, I'd greatly appreciate assistance as well. I rely heavily on Spotlight to find files/emails, etc. This makes me not want to do any updates - as everything was fine prior to this Firmware update. It is finding some files but definitely not as many as it did yesterday.
    Also, I use Onyx and this hasn't helped.

9. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

10. czeluff macrumors 6502

I never have problems with OSX, and I don't use MainMenu, Onyx, etc. Seems like that stuff creates problems.

Open Terminal and try this:

"sudo mdutil -s /" will tell you if indexing is enabled.

"sudo mdutil -i on /" will enable indexing.

"sudo mdutil -E /" will delete the metadata and re-index.

So for what it's worth, try this group of commands:

sudo mdutil -i on /
    rm -rf /.Spotlight*
    sudo mdutil -E /

That middle command will make sure to clear out ALL containers of metadata, not just the active one. If none exist, I am confident the execution of the 3rd option should force the rebuild.

11. MidCityMac macrumors newbie

Thank you...

Thanks for the prompt responses. Can't do a full restore right now because my 2 yr + 4 mo. old Macbook's optical drive died a few months ago. It's on the list of repairs. Believe it or not, Spotlight and Mac Mail 'entire message' search functions have been more essential to my daily work-life than the optical drive functioning.

I attempted the Terminal thing and got a warning message which worried me a bit since I am not a pro at this stuff. So I broke down and called Apple. After $50, 3 technicians, 2 hours and 1 dropped call - I've been told I will receive a call back within a week. I offered the Terminal commands and they said "Oh no, that is a last resort and you should not do that - only top engineers work on Terminal."

Wish I could revert back to how the computer was prior to the Firmware update because that is the only action I can connect to this new problem.