My MBP takes 2mins+ to boot into leopard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billandy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. billandy macrumors regular

For no reason, my 17" 2.33GHz with 2GB RAM takes ridiculously long to boot into leopard. I performed a clean installation on the first day leopard was officially released and have quite a lot of pictures, videos and documents on the 160GB 5400rpm hard drive-about 100GB. Still I don't think those data will slow the leopard down so significantly compared to about 30-40 seconds in most mac boot tests. Any idea how this could be? THX!!!:apple:

2. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

Check your add-on software

All it takes is one device, one device driver, or one piece of bootup software that goes into a timeout mode to slow any computer's reboot process. I'd look at what you have installed / connected first.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you press and hold CMD-V when starting up you will see more detail on the startup process (it looks more like a traditional Unix boot up sequence). This may help you identify if somethings stalling the boot.

4. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

that is quite long to boot

normally it would boot leopard in not more than 10 seconds ( on 2.4 GHz )

5. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

That is weird. It could be a number of things, such as some device that is attached to the computer that slows it down.

6. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

removed ViruScan, much faster now, but still takes around 1min. tried cmd-v, it seems to freeze for abot 3-5 seconds on bluetooth and airport start-up. i am using the wireless mighty mouse and a wired aluminium keyboard. other peripherals include a logitech usb microphone attached to the keyboard and a dock-connector for my iPod Touch.

BTW, the new apple keyboard is really CRAP!!! Keeps on missing keystrokes and the Caps key is really a pain to use as it really has to be pressed down in the centre of the key for a very long time. Also the strange shape of the "enter" key on the British version is another pain to use! Looks very nice though...

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I totally agree with this! We pay more in the UK for a crappy enter key?

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Sounds obvious but I would take it in to apple if I were you. I had a similar problem with my macbook (although it was taking more in the region of 5 mins), but after I sent it in, it's been back to its old zippy self.

9. matt4077 macrumors member

I don't even remember the last reboot. Isn't sleep/suspend a lot better anyway?

10. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Out of curiosity, what does that UK enter key look like? Any pics?

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

like this

Attached Files:

12. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Our enter key is far, far too narrow: I'm constantly missing it.
    And why is @ in the wrong place?
    It should be right next to enter.

13. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

yes, most of the time no one bothers to reboot the machine, but just noticed my laptop getting slower and slower at boot-up recently.

everything's wrong with the new aluminium keyboard. the caps key is my biggest headache, followed by the tiny stingy "return", then it's the useless "§" key. the "@"'s in the wrong place with many other keys. have no idea which retard gave such keyboard layout map to apple and claim it being "british"...

14. billandy thread starter macrumors regular

after switching off all the network services and wireless connections(including bluetooth), the boot-up was immediately sped up to around 40 seconds. seems that it has something to do with the complexity and huge size of my university network.