My MBP takes 35 seconds to sleep - what's wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RichardF, Jan 8, 2008.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Waking-up is not an issue but going to sleep takes 35 seconds from the moment I close the lid until the light is pulsing and the fans turn off. What gives?

Could you please time how long it take for yours?

Specs in my signature and running 10.5.1.

2. azhelkov macrumors member

Most likely because of safe sleep setting. Use pmset command in terminal to change hibernatemode from 3 (default) to 0 if you don't like it. It gives you faster wake up too.

3. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Thank you for your note.

Yes, I had read about this method.

But I would like to know whether it's a standard time now in 10.5 for the machine to take as long as 35 seconds to go to sleep.

In 10.4 it only took 2 seconds, sometimes 3-4 seconds if I had like 20 apps opened when I put it to sleep but never as long as > 30 seconds.

Waking-up is immediate in both 10.4 and 10.5 for me.

If you have 10.5, could you please see how long does it takes on your machine the in the default sleep setting?

4. azhelkov macrumors member

There is no standard time. Because going to safe sleep requires writing content of RAM to HD, time varies. Another factor might be your HD writing speed, amount of memory on your computer etc. Hibernatemode is relatively new. It might be was introduced with Leopard, I don't remember. I never had it on PB G4 with Tiger. I think nothing wrong with your MBP in this respect.

5. Josheua macrumors regular

My macbook pro takes about 5-10 seconds to shut completely down, is this right? I mean the screen goes black and the light on the latch is off so I assume this is what shut down looks like...>.>

-Josh :apple:

6. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I didn't know about this.
    It sounds like this is new indeed and normal then.
    The time it takes on my machine is very similar what a Windows machine needs to go into Hibernate mode (takes the same amount of time on my Sony Vaio with XP SP2).

7. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

We are not talking about turning it off (5-10 seconds sounds right btw).

How long does your machine take to enter Sleep mode (light pulsing and fans off)?

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

as said, there are 2 types of sleep
    sleep and safe sleep (mac)
    sleep and hibernate (windows)
    safe sleep/hibernate takes longer to sleep as it writes all of RAM contents to HDD

on macs, safe sleep is disabled by default so it should take a few seconds to sleep. when the battery gets low, the mac will write RAM contents to HDD without waking up, so that when you wake it up, you have the mac as it was before it went to sleep, including all data
    however, if the power source (say battery) is removed, the RAM data has been lost

it varies, but about 10-15 seconds

9. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

azhelkov had already kindly explained what you went through the trouble of repeating (for what reason?).

In effect, as the thread progressed, the question became: did Leopard implement safe sleep by default on laptops?

The thought about low battery energy level was good but in my case it takes about 35 seconds whether I am running on full-battery or at 15%, whether I have 2 apps opened or 15.

That's why I was wondering.

So it still takes 10-15 seconds for you for instance. You signature shows you are running 10.5.

In 10.4 it used to take 2-5 seconds for me.

10. azhelkov macrumors member

RichardF,
    Just run in Terminal
    sudo pmset -g
    type password and see what is currently in use.
    From other hand, replace HD to 7200 rpm and remove half of installed memory. You'll be as everybody else. Just kidding. Stop worrying.

11. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I like/ prefer to know things :-D

pmset -g returns some info among which: hibernatemode 3.

So I ran this: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and: sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

to get ride of the RAM image (4GB=my installed RAM) Mac OS X had created for Safe Sleep.

Now my MBP sleeps in 2 seconds, heheheh, I like it much better!

I Googled this issue and it seems Apple has Safe Sleep on its laptops since fall 2005 apparently. So I answer my own question: it isn't a Leopard "feature".

By the way the 200GB 7,200 rpm 16MB Hitachi TravelStar does look tempting...