my MBP user experience with some dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g3m1nn1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. g3m1nn1 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have been sitting behind my computer and I thought i would share my "I am a new MBP user" experience. This post may get long but hey, I hope you all don't find it boring.

I have been PC user for years but last year decided to switch since my field of work ( multimedia, sound engineering ) requires solid "don't-crash-while-i-work" computer. And I began searching, exploring abot what Mac to buy, when to buy it and so on. And last September I did. It is a early MBP 2.5 17' with upgraded 4gb ram and so on:)
    I was very happy about, i was like a kid receiving his new toy ( sit back on the couch and just admire it ).
    Of course i began exploring all the possibilities, all various things it has and so on.
    Since I am very protective of my tech "toys" ( little geeky, i admit ) I wanted to have it protected against dust and potential unwanted bruses i bought marware protection pack:

[​IMG]

Have been using it ever since and I am satisfied, the only thing that bugs me is that visually it doesn't melt with laptop ( does anyone know where to get transparent one? ), not that it is essential, I just like nice visual look of my computer on my desk and I also bought Iskin keyboard protection ( like it isnt there, awesome ) to protect keyboard from dust and dirt. ( I think Unibody offers better dirt protection, from what I have seen ).

After watching WWDC 09 and seeing new MBPs that were reeased i thought:
    Already my computer is old even though its still pretty new. Darn, i thought Apple doesnt release new products 3 times a year and that my laptop would be "new" for at least year. Guess i was wrong.

i have been thinking about upgrading RAM to 6gb ( since this seems to be max for this type ) and consequently my HD ( its 250 gb now ) but that proably after my warranty expires later this year.

The crazy thought that was jumping through my head and i dont want to sound stupid or snobbish was, if warranty is until the end of this year, if my computer breaks down or something goes terribly wrong, would possible replacement include new MBP. I am already ashamed of writing this, since i am talking bad about my "baby" here;)

Thank you for reading and I hope it wasnt boring too much.

2. Barney0 macrumors newbie

Well I have no idea how you can use your beautiful laptop in such ugly protection.

Take a look at Invisible Shield, they are fantastic and don't carry any extra bulk. Just an extremely tough thin film.

http://www.zagg.com/

As for repairing and upgrading, I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure they'll repair your model rather than giving you a brand new one.

James​

3. g3m1nn1 thread starter macrumors member

I dont know either but it seemed like the best choice at the moment.
    as for Invisible shield, i saw that when computer is hot the glue comes out on the sides. I am using I.shield on my nokia and its the same 8 that is why i bought too, gonna replace the old shield with fresh one ). Are you using it?

As for replacement it was just a pop in my mind, i too think they would rather repair it than replace it.

4. TSparger macrumors member

If you're talking about breaking it on purpose to file a warranty claim then IMO you are a dishonest person and this would be considered fraudulent behaviour. Just use the dang thing and be happy with what you have.

5. g3m1nn1 thread starter macrumors member

i am happy with what I have, frankly more than happy. I was just saying, i something was to go wrong for whatever reason i hope it goes until my warrant is valid. maybe I wrote it wrongly, so it was misunderstood.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I second the recommendation for invisible shield. It's the only thin film for 17". Because I don't clean my MBP everyday, the skin gets the brunt of the dirt, etc. Unless your body doesn't produce oil, the palm rest protection is a must. Also, it's good for protection against the gunk in those airport security trays.

I'm not envious of the new MBPs. The upgrades are a good thing. When it's time to buy my next notebook, it'll be amazing.

7. g3m1nn1 thread starter macrumors member

gotta check at my local reseller if they have it on stock, it is not that big expense.
    upgrades are good of course, its just that this technology goes on faster than my bank account:)
    p.s. eastercat - identical 17's;)