My MBP vs. New Updated Models...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BStudley35, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. BStudley35 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #1
    Hey everyone! I am new to this site...

    Well, here is the deal everyone...I am in a pickle for sure... :(

    Downstairs I have the old generation (as in the generation which came before the June 8, 2009 update) sitting in its box, unopened in my dining room. :(

    It is a 17", 2.66ghz, 320gb @ 5400 rpm, 4 gb RAM model (the base model essentially), refurbished MBP. I bought it less than a week ago online for $2400--which was $400 cheaper than the base NEW model of the time.

    Now this was 5 days before these new, updated MBP's were added to the site, and with a student discount for me, these ones are only $2300...and they are a bit better with a faster processor and larger hard drive.

    My question for you all is......
    Should I return my unopened MBP to Apple and get the new model instead? Or just tear open my box and enjoy the wonderful machine which just arrived today?

    It's killing me to know I have a beautiful laptop waiting for me downstairs but I am hesitant to open it as I could get a bit better of a laptop if I am patient...

    Keep in mind, if I were to opt to get the newest, updated MBP, i would have to wait approximately 2 more weeks for it to arrive because I would need to ship my current MBP back and then have the new one shipped to me.

    What's your opinion??

    Thanks,
    Brendan
     
  2. kmac88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Location:
    AUSTRALIA
    #2
    what i did

    hey, i was in the same situation. recieved my macbook pro the day after new versions were released. was pissed off. so i called them up as soon as i could and the lady who picked up the phone, said it was fine and that for people who received their macbooks after the new ones have come out can return it back to them. So they organized a pick up (paid by them) and gonna refund the full price back. Gonna use the money to buy the new macbook pro so happy. Mac has been very good to me. Thanks mac!

    but yeah it all comes down to what you want, and whether you can wait another 2 weeks (a week for refund & another week for the new order to be delivered) Iam changing it cause, longer battery, sd card, as well as faster processor for cheaper price were big things for me.

    p.s. MBP i ordered was 15inch 2.6ghz with harddrive upgrade. They said it didn't' matter that it was custom configured.
     
  3. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #3
    Thanks for your reply!

    I decided to return the first model to get the brand new one. But now I am torn between another decision...

    Should I get the base model right away with the 5400rpm hard drive from a local apple store, or get the 7200rpm hard drive and wait an extra 2 weeks for shipping??

    What would you do?
     
  4. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

    marioman38

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2006
    Location:
    Elk Grove, CA
    #4
    5400 rpm. Swap it out with a 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue, they're $99 on newegg, way better than apple pricing.

    Read This Article
     
  5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Bronx,Ny
    #5
    I vote for you to pick the ssd
     
  6. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #6
    Thanks for your advice!
    Doesn't that void your warranty from apple though? And I am concerned that a 5400 rpm drive might be a bit slow compared to a 7200 rpm one. I don't do very demanding tasks all the time though so I am not sure if I need it. The most demanding process is probably some gaming (Crysis and Counter Strike). I also do a lot with music programs and some recording.


    For Ricanlegend;
    Thanks to you as well!
    Are ssd that much faster? I have never used one and honestly, I am not sure if I would even push the computer hard enough to benefit from the added speed of a ssd.



    I am buying this computer for college, so I would like it to be pretty fast and responsive. But I do not do any video editing and I do little with photography. The laptop will mainly be used for regular tasks and moderate gaming. I would like it to be snappy and quick, but I am not sure if I would benefit much from a 7200rpm drive, or a ssd for that matter.

    What's your opinion?
     
  7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #7
    5400 will be fine, faster hd's are for people who have demanding tasks.
    It's best to try the SLOWER hd first, see how you like the response and THEN if necessary get the upgrade(you could always go to an apple authorized dealer(or send it to a dealer) if you're worried about installing a new hd).

    --think of it like this, if you get high speed internet at say 7.0mbps and then downgrade to 1.5mbps, the speed will seem really slow to you, but if you go from dial up internet to 1.5mbps internet it will seem zippy and just fine, and you may have no need to pay extra for the faster speed.
    ----It's all relative :D
     
  8. cu2010 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    new york city
    #8
    I'm actually in the same situation. As for the warranty, don't worry about it. I've found another thread on this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=285731

    So now that I am going to return my 3-week-old 15" MBP, I might as well purchase a new 17" this time. I've decided on the 5400 rmp because I am going to replace it with an SDD myself but am still contemplating whether or not to upgrade to the 3.06 GHz processor. In that case, I've got to order online and wait a week or so.
     
  9. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #9
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

    I think I am going to follow your advice, macrumorsMaster, and go to the Apple store and try out the base model in person. If i find that it appears to be quick enough, I will take it home right then and there! but...if it seems a bit slow to me I will put my patience cap on and wait for the shipping process for a 7200rpm drive to take place.

    cu2010,
    For me, I don't think the 3.06 ghz processor is worth it. I was originally happy with 2.66 until these new 2.8ghz models came out recently, so the upgrade to 3.06 seems silly, especially since I am already splurging a bit to afford such a high end laptop. I am sure 2.8ghz will be more than enough for me, and unless you're in need of a very fast machine, I think it would do its job well for you also.
     
  10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #10
    Glad I could help, I know how hard it is to decide :D
     
  11. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #11
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone found their 5400rpm drive to be too sluggish for them??
     
  12. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #12
    I disagree with the post above suggesting you should go with the base 5400 rpm hd. spend the $50 and get the 7200 and you'll be happy. I did the upgrade of the new mac mini from a 5400 rpm to a seagate 7200 and couldn't be happier. the 7200 actually runs cooler and is quieter. I don't know if the macbook pro uses a seagate 7200 but, I just placed an order today for the MB pro and the only upgrade I got was the Hd 7200 rpm drive for $50. the applications I use are VM Fusion and a windoze app called Tradestation. The upgrade on the mini made a lot of difference in the 'usability' of the app under fusion. I think even general use would benefit from a faster hd. I don't suggest you go for the SSD as those prices continue to fall and, for me, the 7200 rpm drives are heaven.

    I hope this helps and pllease let us know what you decide. BTW, my new MB pro should be here by Thursday of next week.
     
  13. BStudley35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #13
    Thanks hornshwangler!

    I actually am starting to second guess my intentions of getting a 5400 rpm drive, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to test one at the store yet. I plan to go either this coming Sunday night or Monday. But, considering I will have this computer for a very long time, I am starting to think that I should just be patient and get the $50 upgraded drive and wait the extra 2 weeks.

    I agree, the SSD is not a very good option for me due to my budget and I need the extra space the serial drives have to offer.

    Best of luck to you and your new purchase!! I hope you have a great experience with it! As you can tell, I am pretty anxious to get my own.
     

Share This Page