My MBP was in sleep mode for over a week :-O

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LincolnsiPod, Feb 9, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502a

I was making some updates to my MacBook, then shut it down for the weekend, or so I thought. After a busy week I was finally able to get back to using it again, but I noticed it wouldn't power up. When I plugged in the charger and hit the power button again the screen instantly came up, with my browser still open. I never shut it off and it had been asleep this whole time. :eek:

Is the battery going to be ok? I'm charging it now and it seems ok but that about gave me a heart attack. Eeesh.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

should be fine. but dont forget to recalibrate on a monthly basis.

5. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, got that bookmarked in case I run into issues. My MBP was literally in sleep mode for 12 days. When I turned it back on battery life was at 5% then dripped to zero after a few minutes.

For the life of me I never knew sleep mode could last that long. :eek: Agreed about calibrating, I read up on battery maintenance and will follow a schedule to calibrate it every three weeks from now on. :D

6. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Sleep mode lasts as long as your battery can supply the RAM with power, so pretty long. Not sure why you needed to plug in the power cord for it wake though.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Because the battery was almost out.

The computer sleeps before the battery runs out so it has time to save your RAM to the HD. This means that if it sleeps for too long, and the battery completely runs out, the computer effectively reverts to hibernation. When you plug it in, it will wake up, realise there's no information in RAM, and so re-fill RAM with the data it copied to the HD.

If the computer has almost no battery left and is asleep, it knows there is no point in waking up. So it won't.

Worst case scenario, you added a single charge cycle to your battery.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It`ll be fine, my MBP lives in sleep mode and barely know`s what a shut down is :)

9. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Green light came on and the battery life seems as usual. Thanks for the responses all. :D

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MB will use approximately 1% of battery power for every hour in sleep mode. It doesn't harm your battery at all to let it sleep for long periods or even let it run completely out.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

13. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'm more amazed that you were able to NOT use your macbook for a week! I think my max has been ~48hrs? Nearly killed me ;)

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Macro linked to F-1?

15. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again, I'll be sure to re-calibrate once a month from now on. It's still new so I'm good. :D

I know right? Especially since I have the Mac Store installed which alone would guarantee I never see the light of day again, but I've just been too crazy busy with work. :eek: