My mbp wont bootup :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m3kal, May 7, 2012.

1. m3kal, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

m3kal macrumors newbie

hi im new to the mac world and ive just got my first mbp, i got a crucial m4 ssd and thought id give it an upgrade so i used carbon copy to clone but now all i get is the question mark flashing even when i put the original hdd back in. i did notice which i cant understand why is that if i plug the ssd or the original hdd in via usb it boots up but if i connect them inside the mac it gives question mark. ive tried to install new system but fails to see any device to install on, but as ive said if i connect using usb it see it????? Totally lost here guys. just hope this can be fixed some how. any ideas. Thanks

----------

oh and when i try to erase the drive via usb it fails on last block ??

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

My guess is that the ribbon connector to the logic board is disconnected. Open up your computer and make sure all the connections are snug.

3. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah just chkd that taken off and put back on again, still nothing. dam question mark.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I dont mean to sound condescending, but rather thorough: did you check the connection to the SSD AND to the logicboard? It sure sounds like a connection issue between the SSD and the logicboard.

6. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

well ive chkd for any damage on the ribbon and see non looks good. its strange cuz if i boot up via usb with ssd and keep the original hdd inside it does see it when booted up but says drive inside couldnt be read, i then try to erase it but says cant on last block.

is there any other software i can try to sort this ? even on a windows machine if i have to.

7. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

spoke to apple as this is day old lol this is in there hands now. maybe the cable cant think of anythink else as both drives show fine via usb. thanks for the help tho guys

8. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its going in today... had one last try over the phone with them to still no good. its crazy cuz when i boot up via usb with and leave the original drive inside the first thing it says when it booted up is the drive inside cant be read ! so i cant erase/partition etc yet it sees the drive and the size etc, also vice versa if i put the ssd inside and boot with the original via usb same errors.. Crazy :confused:

Only had this few days be glad to get it back.

9. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally fixed it

Ok guys totally change of plan of now, I just didnt want to give up on this before i had to send it off, i tried another hdd inside this time leaving the crucial ssd and the original hdd out, and was amazed my mac found the drive was able to erase etc and install system on to it.

Really dont get why it wont allow to boot from the other 2 drives ? ive even formated them on my pc and work fine i can install windows to them etc.

10. paul117 macrumors regular

when u have only the ssd connected inside the laptop and no hard drives externally connected if u hold option when u turn the laptop on does it show the drive? cause when i go switching my hard drives or ssd around on my laptop it will always come up with the question mark and i have to select option and boot to the drive i am using to get it to boot.

11. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill try this next time, sent ssd back. Have a samsung 830 on way now. So am i ok to just put this ssd inside and download new system to it ? or is it better to just clone to it ? which is the safer/better way. I dont wanna mess up!

12. paul117 macrumors regular

well when i clone my disks i use internet recovery and then go into disk utility select the disk with os x on it and click restore and drag the new disk to the destination part and i have no issue doing it that way.

13. m3kal thread starter macrumors newbie

Samsung ssd 830

Got this lovely ssd this morning installed it and had no problems at all made up and looks nice to :) Next for me is 8gb memory i think.