My MBP won't read my CD :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tennyo, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

Okay so last night I went to see Wicked (yay! :)) and I bought the soundtrack. Today I tried to put it into my MBP to upload to iTunes, but my laptop won't read it! The icon pops up for a few seconds, and it very briefly flashes to the track list in iTunes, but then it suddenly disappears.

I tried putting other CD's in and my laptop reads them just fine.

This isn't a sign of my disc driving slowly beginning to die, is it? Or does anyone have the soundtrack for Wicked and has come across this same problem?

2. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Put the CD in another player to verify it works. If it doesn't then it's spoilt.

3. Tennyo thread starter macrumors member

Tennyo

I already know it works in my car since I listened to it on the way home last night. :/

Is there a way to access my disc drive on my laptop the way one can on a PC? Maybe I could get at it that way?

4. mblotzer macrumors newbie

This appears to be a problem with the new version of iTunes, iTunes 10. My wife was trying to read an audio book on her recently updated to iTunes 10 MacBook. There was wierd flashing of the track list in iTunes and then nothing. The CD was not recognized and did not appear in the device list.

We washed the disc, tried a couple other discs, and still no joy. Then tried this on my Mac Book Pro, also recently updated to iTunes 10. Same thing happened, except the track list would appear for longer periods, but could not be manipulated because of the eternal spinning beach ball.

Next I tried a music CD that I've ripped to iTunes previously and the same dang thing happened.

Something weird is going on here with iTunes version 10.

Mike

5. Salacion macrumors 6502a

It's not iTunes 10, it has happened long before it.

I am also curious about this, as it happened on my Macbook Pro. The drive begins to work, then it stutters and ultimately spits the DVD out.

6. mblotzer macrumors newbie

Well, I just got off the phone with Apple Support and they confirmed that this IS an issue with iTunes 10. The Apple rep said that Apple was working on an update, but it would be a couple weeks.

But there is a work around. Turn off "Automatically retrieve CD track names from internet" in the General iTunes Preferences tab. You'll have to manually enter the album and track data, but this is not a big deal for my wife's audiobooks, because iTunes doesn't get audiobook track data from the internet, anyway.

Mike

7. Tennyo thread starter macrumors member

Tennyo

Really? I guess I'll wait for the update, then. :/

But I did try second CD and that one did work. However, it's one I'm fairly confident won't have info available on the internet (a local indie artist who had put on a Christmas concert). Maybe that's why it worked? I'll have to try others from more mainstream artists.