My MBP13 occasionally takes too long to shut down.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Helljumper, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Helljumper macrumors member

I was a Windows user up until a few months ago so this isn't that big a deal, but lately, my MBP takes longer than usual to shut down. Usually, it's no more than 2-3 seconds. Now, most of the time it's normal, but sometimes it takes like 20-30 seconds and there is a spiraling icon (hard to describe, think of something refreshing or loading) on the blue screen.

I know it's not a big deal, but I'd like some kind of explanation as to why my MBP is doing this and if it's a sign of worse things to come.

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

All it's doing is doing its processes for shutdown, which could occasionally take some time, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

3. Helljumper thread starter macrumors member

Now this is happening pretty much every time I shut down...

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

check your printer queue..if you have print jobs pending, i know that has messed with mine and other user's MBP sleep function..perhaps it happens for shutdown as well - i cannot remember whether or not it affected mine..

let me know if this helps.

5. moel macrumors 6502

Also check your not connected to any sort of file server be it ftp or a windows server. If it's having to dismount them it can take an age

Failing all of this, open up disk utility in applications -> utilities and repair your disk permissions

6. borisiii macrumors 6502

Mine used to show the spiral but never actually shut down, even if you waited more than an hour. I did a PRAM reset and, over a year later, it hasn't done it since.