My MBPR seems to be getting hot with this Speck case on.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I got the Speck see thru hardshell to protect my macbook pro w/retina and I have noticed that the bottom seems to be getting hot now while doing simple stuff like web surfing. Are these cases known to do this? I thought they were well vented?

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

That has nothing to do with the Speck case, but with the aluminum body of the rMBP itself. Heat is going to exit through the body of the machine since aluminum is one of the best heat conductors there is. Also, if your machine has the dedicated GPU on it, the machine will run warmer whenever it's enabled by default. If the internals get too hot, the thermal management in the OS will shut it down before things get out of hand.

3. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am coming from a Macbook Air and never really noticed it with the Air. So my machine isn't bad it's just a part of the build?

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The Air also uses lower TDP CPUs than the rMBP does, so that could explain the difference in heat. Also, if you have a 15" model with an NVIDIA dGPU, things are gonna be a bit toastier inside.

5. Idefix macrumors 6502

the heat is why I always left off the bottom of the Speck case...

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Take it off then

if that helps leave it off....

7. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I rarely notice any heat, with or without my speck hardshell case. Only when playing a flash game for an extended period of time does my mbpr get hot.

8. Idefix macrumors 6502

if you're concerned about scratching the bottom, you can always put a skin on