My MBP's battery is not a happy camper

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravich, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

(fore the record I have an iStat program I am basing some of this information off of.)

I have a early 2008 15'' macbook pro. The battery was lasting roughly 2 hours (70ish% health according to istats) until a little while back. For about a week I used my mom's charger for her 13inch 2009 MBP, which I dont think my MBP liked very much. Ever since then it hasnt been doing so well. It tends to lose the last 30% of its charge almost instantly. According to istat, it is at about 32% health at the moment.

Should I just take it to apple? Will they be able to gauge its health and give me a replacement? Apple care runs out for me in June.

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you calibrated it properly? Btw, the charger for the 13" has only 60W, while the 15" and 17" chargers are 85W, though it shouldn't introduce such problems.
    How many cycles does the battery have?

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You shouldn't have used that charger for your mbp. The two are rated differently so you might've screwed it up. I don't think AppleCare covers battery normally, but you can try your luck. I'm sure if you are nice enough, a genius can swap it out for you.

4. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

271 cycles. That's too bad that apple doesnt cover batteries.... I'll give them a call and see what they say I guess.

5. surf2snow1 macrumors regular

Any luck Ravich? I've had a battery swapped out once for my 2008 MBP after 94 cycles. I think they will warranty them for up to 300 cycles.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They're only covered for defect. Read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted for more details.