Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I don't know what the deal is but I have had my macbook pro for about 4 days and the internet on this thing sucks. Whenever I try to open a page I have to click it like 4 times for it tow work. It is really bad with gmail, my bank, and macrumors forum. Does it have to do with my Java settings? Also, my Apple mail client only connects to my gmail once in a blue moon. What is going on?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
How are you connected to the 'net? Have you tried a different browser? Is Mail set to check for new mail once every blue moon in its Preferences?

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
My mail is set up correctly. I warning triangle pops up and tails me that it won't connect.

As for my internet, the same thing happens for firefox and safari.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
My mail is set up correctly. I warning triangle pops up and tails me that it won't connect.

As for my internet, the same thing happens for firefox and safari. It usually is really bad after I wake it from sleeping.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I am using a netgear wireless router. I am new to this mac thing so unfortunately I don't really know how to anser your question. The thing that frustrates me the most though is that my internet works fine. I connect to it everytime. It is that ceratin pages just dont work.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I am using a netgear wireless router. I am new to this mac thing so unfortunately I don't really know how to anser your question. The thing that frustrates me the most though is that my internet works fine. I connect to it everytime. It is that ceratin pages just dont work.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
see what i mean. everytime i tell it to "enter post" it freezes and I have to click it again to go through. But then it goes through twice.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah power cycle your network. Basically, just unplug all the different components (router and modem assuming they're not the same box), wait for a minute or and then plug them all back in. See how that goes. :)

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
I have done that before. It happens on every wireless network I get on.

rstorm

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Grand Rapids, MI
Did you download the Safari 3.0 beta. When I did I had similar problems. I uninstalled and no further problems. I find that Firefox works the best with my bank (Chase). For mail some ISP's will block you if you try to get mail too often. I have this problem with ATT and I have mine to check every 5 minutes.

cvance

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I downloaded Firefox and my internet is extremely slow. I downloaded fasterfox and iMacros as well and its still really slow.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
It seems to only be an issue when I am at home. My router is a netgear that is 4 + years old. Could it be effecting how my computer works? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue when I am on other wireless hubs, just my one at home.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
It seems to only be an issue when I am at home. My router is a netgear that is 4 + years old. Could it be effecting how my computer works? It doesn't seem to be as big an issue when I am on other wireless hubs, just my one at home.
Sounds like you answered your own question, yes? If it works fine everywhere but home, hmmmm! Process of elimination here, take out the cheesy netgear router and plug it directly into your ISP box.

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007

I have the same problem, the router I use for wireless is 4+ years old too and is unbearably slow. But luckily I never have to use it since I have a Ethernet wire going to my comp.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Also, do you have any wireless security on the router? Plenty of people have none and wonder why their 'net is acting up (read: slow, timing out), only to find out there's others leeching their bandwidth.

What model Netgear is it, btw? Try a firmware update if it's ancient.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
In that case it's either the router or your ISP. Try a wired connection directly to your broadband modem. If that's still slow then it's your ISP.

So depending on the conclusion, either buy a new router or try setting your Mac's DNS manually to the http://www.OpenDNS.org servers (this doesn't improve speed for me, but plenty of other people say it helps them).

I have a 3 year old Netgear wireless router (WGR614v4) and it's worked flawlessly till recently. Now, it can take up to a minute to get a connection to it when waking from sleep (from a couple of Macs and a PC laptop so it's not a Mac issue) and I've had to power cycle it a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping to limp along with it till the revision of the Airport Extreme that has a built-in Gigabit 4 port switch and multiple USB sockets (... wishful thinking ... but that has to come considering there are now competing WirelessN routers with gb ethernet that are 2/3 the price)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I went through the same thing as you. Turned out it was my router. Replaced it about 6 months ago and it's been incredibly fast since. Before, it used to take around 30 secs to load google, and often would just time out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.