My MBP's track pad and keyboard don't work!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Egosphere, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Egosphere macrumors member

This is terrible. I tried starting up my (C2D 2.3 GHz) MBP from being off (completely--not asleep) and I got stuck in the login screen because I couldn't log on: my keyboard and track pad wouldn't work. They did nothing at all--no response. Neither the keyboard nor the track pad showed any problems before. This just happened all of a sudden. When I connected an external mouse, it worked fine and I was able to click the shut down and reset buttons or whatnot.

I tried resetting the PRAM, but I guess the keyboard doesn't even work in the startup stage because it didn't do the second start up sound. Also, option wouldn't bring up the boot disc-choice screen. The keyboard must be dysfunctional even before OS X is loaded up.

What's going on??? What can I do to fix this???

Thanks for all the help!

2. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Go to System Profiler and click on the USB tab. The first one should say "Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad".

3. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

If not, then you may need to send it in. I had a friend whose iSight got disconnected but APP fixed it right up. Might as well make a list of anything else that may be wrong with it now so it gets fixed as well.

4. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

have you run disk utility? fsck-fy? possibly reset pram?tried applejack? these have worked for others...

5. Egosphere thread starter macrumors member

Right now, I can't go into disc utility or system profiler or whatnot because I can't login. I can't even reset the PRAM because the keyboard doesn't work. I can't even boot from anything else because I can't press option--that is, I can press it but it doesn't do anything. Now, what's fsck-fv or applejack?

I'll try to get a hold of a USB keyboard to try and get it working. Thanks for the help, meanwhile.

6. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

w/o the keyboard those two options can't help. basically applejack is a 3rd party program that diagnoses and repairs software problems. fsck-fy is similar. both are run after booting while holding down the 's' key (single-user mode)wish i could be of more assistance, but this one has me stumped.

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

8. pmartin macrumors regular

Try resetting your PMU. Unplug the computer and remove the battery. Hold the power button for 10 seconds.

9. peteMG macrumors member

same here..

I've got a MBP that's doing the exact same thing - no sign of life from the KB or trackpad. Mine did it after waking from sleep a couple days ago.

I'm worried it's going to be a hardware fix. My only saving grace is that I used to be an apple repair tech, so I can probably buy the part and install it myself. I already put in a new fan to replace one that was buzzing, and that required removing the top case completely..

Here's my post on the apple support forums for more info (nothing new or surprising, just a rehash really)
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1118771&tstart=0

10. tzwada macrumors newbie

Same problem and resolved

Hi. I had a same problem and resolved. Please try to reset the trackpad. Pressing the trackpad by palm then wait 3-4 seconds. Then release your palm softly.

11. kimiko.ramirez macrumors newbie

Same problem here, new info

Today I went to reboot my early 2008 macbook pro after having had it in windows for a few hours. As soon as my leopard desktop loaded, NO keyboard or trackpad response. Same symptoms as others have posted. At first I also thought it would be a hardware issue but confirmed it to be a software issue when I was able to boot into Windows by holding down the "option" key when booting and once in Windows, both the keyboard and trackpad worked as expected.

It is clear that this problem is software based as after continual reboots between Leopard and Windows showed the same result. They work in Windows but not in Leopard.

I do not know of a fix but since I have another Macbook lying around, I ended up booting it in target mode, copied my user folder to the other mac and ended up reinstalling leopard. Unfortunately this also meant doing the same for windows.

at least i know it is not the actual laptop having a problem.