Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Well to me, anyway. This is my first Mac, having worked with computers since before there was such a thing as a PC.

I was really struggling with the MBP for a number of reasons. I fully appreciated the fact that it would take a while to get used to the keyboard layout and even more so, the lack of keys I had always been used to ie.. Backspace, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, etc. I quickly learned to deal with that and embraced the 2 key combinations. I'm even getting used to the trackpad; however, I did install a wireless mouse the 2nd day I had the system. :)

But there was 2 things that were really hindering any possible enjoyment of my new system.

1) Impossible to use on my lap for more than a few minutes. I've had no less that 8 different laptops and they all got warm, but this thing was unbearable.

2) No matter where I tried to use this system, the glare on the screen was overwhelming. I like to sit on my porch or even in my garage with my laptop but that just wasn't possible in that much light.

These things bothered me so bad that I seriously considered taking a $ loss and pawning it off to whoever I could find that was interested.

But some over 20 years ago I acquired a nickname from an IBM Fellow in Oxford England. He called me "Pragmatic", since I seemed to "use a pry bar" if necessary to solve a problem.

So instead of whining about the product I went looking for a solution(s).

Amazing how a Cooler Master Notepal X2 Notebook Cooler and Splash Masque HD Screen Protector can transform what was practically an unusable item (for me) into something that I am really beginning to enjoy.

Happy Computing :D

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
W

I was really struggling with the MBP for a number of reasons. I fully appreciated the fact that it would take a while to get used to the keyboard layout and even more so, the lack of keys I had always been used to ie.. Backspace, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, etc.

My Macbook Pro and Air both have all of those keys. What computer do you have? :confused:

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
My Macbook Pro and Air both have all of those keys. What computer do you have? :confused:

Latest MacBook Pro 13". My bad, PageUp, PageDown, Home, End, etc. But there isn't a BackSpace, just a Delete.

The Delete key on the MBP works like the BackSpace on other keyboards whereas the Delete on other keyboards deletes at the current cursor position (it doesn't move).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Latest MacBook Pro 13". My bad, PageUp, PageDown, Home, End, etc. But there isn't a BackSpace, just a Delete.

The Delete key on the MBP works like the BackSpace on other keyboards whereas the Delete on other keyboards deletes at the current cursor position (it doesn't move).

Oh, I see. There is a backspace, but there isn't a delete - that's just to clarify the terminology.

fn + backspace is delete. There are also alt (option) + back space which deletes all of the characters before the cursor. fn + alt + backspace deletes all of the characters after the cursor

fn + → = end
fn + ← = home
fn + ↓ = page down
fn + ↑ = page up

Also, ctrl + ↑ = Mission Control in lion
ctrl + left or right arrow = move to next space / virtual desktop in mission control (this work whether you're in mission control or not)

ctrl + ↓ = show all of the active application's windows.

I hope that helps.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Definitely helps, thanks. So far for any serious work at my desk I've just plugged in a USB keyboard, but I really do new to learn the key combos for those times when I'm away from my desk. (Like this weekend when I'll be living in a tent at a 2 day archery tournament.) :)

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
And I need to ck autocorrect on my iPhone when I post from it.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Well to me, anyway. This is my first Mac, having worked with computers since before there was such a thing as a PC.

I was really struggling with the MBP for a number of reasons. I fully appreciated the fact that it would take a while to get used to the keyboard layout and even more so, the lack of keys I had always been used to ie.. Backspace, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, etc. I quickly learned to deal with that and embraced the 2 key combinations. I'm even getting used to the trackpad; however, I did install a wireless mouse the 2nd day I had the system. :)

But there was 2 things that were really hindering any possible enjoyment of my new system.

1) Impossible to use on my lap for more than a few minutes. I've had no less that 8 different laptops and they all got warm, but this thing was unbearable.

2) No matter where I tried to use this system, the glare on the screen was overwhelming. I like to sit on my porch or even in my garage with my laptop but that just wasn't possible in that much light.

These things bothered me so bad that I seriously considered taking a $ loss and pawning it off to whoever I could find that was interested.

But some over 20 years ago I acquired a nickname from an IBM Fellow in Oxford England. He called me "Pragmatic", since I seemed to "use a pry bar" if necessary to solve a problem.

Amazing how a Cooler Master Notepal X2 Notebook Cooler and Splash Masque HD Screen Protector can transform what was practically an unusable item (for me) into something that I am really beginning to enjoy.

What were you doing on it to make it unbearably hot?

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012

For the glare on the screen, you may purchase an anti-glare film.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I cannot stand Apple's "glassy"displays but I wanted a 13" MBP to replace my anti-glare 15" MBP early 2008 model.

I added the $35 Power Support anti-glare film. It isn't the cheapest but unlike other films it doesn't introduce artifacts or color changes while eliminating glare and reflections. I compared it to my 15" MBP and I could not see a difference between the screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.