My memory slot is ruined

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vluong10, Nov 5, 2008.

1. vluong10 macrumors newbie

Hello. This is my first post; I have come across a problem and I hope someone can help me.

I have just received some new memory for my laptop, so I decided to install the memory. I am not very familiar with installing memory on a Mac, but the instructions seemed pretty straightforward and simple, so I attempted it.

I saw the picture on the right hand side next to the memory slots (the one with the 25 degree angle), so I lifted the first one out easily. The one at the bottom, I just tried lifting it up with force; I believe that I was suppose to slightly lift and pull. I saw a small crack on the bracket arms, and I panicked. I put in the first bottom module, but instead of locking down, is pushed slightly upwards. The top one locked in fine.

I decided to just go with it and turned my computer back on. My Macbook is able to read the memory, but I have a concern. By not having my bottom module locked in securely, will that create some issues in the future?

Help will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. G-Com macrumors regular

Welcome. :)

Probably. If you jar it hard enough the module will pop out. Either do without the RAM in that slot or, if you need it, take the lappy in for repair.

3. vluong10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply^

Ok, well, I have reopened my MBP, and have removed the modules (correctly, this time). There is indeed a crack, but inside the plastic, there's like a metal brace, so the plastic didn't just fall out. I am now taking super glue and meticulously trying to glue the cracked parts together :eek: