Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutsideTheCube

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
So I've decided I want an iPad. Eventually anyway. Instead of waiting idly by just wondering what it will take to force my arm into paying for one, I've decided to do the following.

I just bought 10 shares of Apple stock, and only when I've realized gains of $499 (plus a little extra for tax), will I hunker down to purchase one. Any one have any guesses as to when/if that momentous occasion will happen?

Shares are $236 right now, so I would have to sell around $290 to make the purchase (including tax). I've read some analyst opinions and $300 is certainly within range. So, help me out people and start buying some iPads!

P.S. This is my first post, so be nice!

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Should have never sold the 40 shares I bought at $25 a pop :(

I did sell them at 100, though, bought them back when it went back to $80 and then sold them again at $100, so I can't complain too much :)

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
You do realize Apple is still has a means to go before it approaches $290?

I don't see it happening for at least six months. Analysts seem to be expecting too much and Apple is once again the golden company. Remember in 2009 when it turned from the golden company to the whipping boy? Stock manipulation was evident with amounting rumors of Steve Jobs imminent death brought the stock down quite a bit. Some would say it was because of the recession, but that obviously isn't true as Apple was still having record-quarter after record-quarter and constantly smashing the Street's expectations.

fusconed

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Portland, OR
Purely my unsubstantiated opinion...

So I've decided I want an iPad. Eventually anyway. Instead of waiting idly by just wondering what it will take to force my arm into paying for one, I've decided to do the following.

I just bought 10 shares of Apple stock, and only when I've realized gains of $499 (plus a little extra for tax), will I hunker down to purchase one. Any one have any guesses as to when/if that momentous occasion will happen?

Shares are $236 right now, so I would have to sell around $290 to make the purchase (including tax). I've read some analyst opinions and $300 is certainly within range. So, help me out people and start buying some iPads!

P.S. This is my first post, so be nice!

I would say that you're probably going to be waiting a long time if you are hoping to pay for the entire purchase with gains in the stock for that few shares. Looking at the history of the stock price since before the iPhone, there have, of course, been great gains, but significant losses on those gains as well. I would say that you will probably be able to pay for half of the cost by the end of Summer (assuming the iPad really starts to take off and this year's iPhone along with iPhone OS 4.0 also help). I think most of the gain from the initial ideas of the iPad have already been realized, but who really knows? I'm not in the market at all, so I really have little basis to convince you of my point, that's just how I see it.

Best of luck to you though. I keep looking at the stock price wishing I would have made something happen back when the iPhone was announced (under $100), because I really thought that it was going to take the company somewhere, but it's just hard to spend the money. :)

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
You're not sure you want to pay $499 out of pocket for an iPad, but you bought two grand worth of stock. :rolleyes:

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Whatever some 'experts' claim, I don't think that $300 will happen.

There is so much hype and speculation that it's difficult to see clearly. Also, as someone already suggested, in successful periods, Apple's share price went down. Not long ago, it was in fact below $80. It shouldn't happen again, but whatever goes up can come down.

Currently, Apple is having a historic high. Is it likely to go up? You would be mad not to consider that it can go down. Besides, we are in an economic recovery. Simply having your investment in one share hovering around its current position is not a good investment, when there are much better opportunities. This is the time to buy low-value shares and risk that these companies either go down completely or get their share prices increased substantially.

The highest return on Apple can be around 25%, if the 'best case scenario' happens. That might take months, it might never happen. In six months time, you can get a killing at some of the utility and financial stocks. I think it was Morgan Stanley's analyst that calculated the risk. Their 'worst case scenario' also included pretty nice margins and growth. That is never a good start to guess the worst that can happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.