My mid-2009 13" MBP has started freezing ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sirolway, May 14, 2011.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Help! I've had a mid-2009 13" MBP since they were released & it's been great.
    But in the last couple of weeks it's been freezing - not usually when I'm using it, but when I try to wake it I get a beach ball & login screen, but no joy.

I've booted off a Snow Leopard DVD & repaired disk permissions (it found a small number of issues & repaired them), but I'm still getting the problem.

What can I try to fix this?

I've not installed anything recently, it doesn't happen when any particular app is running (I usually close all apps & leave the MBP to go to sleep on its own), so I can't really see any obvious pattern

2. simsaladimbamba

How much available HDD capacity out of what complete HDD capacity do you have?

3. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

500GB drive, 80GB free...

Been about that for a while & only recently started freezing
    Can't really figure it out.
    I did run Sophos anti virus for the first time in a while. Perhaps I should uninstall that for a while?

4. simsaladimbamba

Definitely.
    No need for that, check the What about sending files to Windows users? section in the following FAQ:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should uninstall Sophos permanently. Sophos can actually make your Mac more vulnerable, and you don't need any antivirus software to protect your Mac.

Read this: Mac Virus/Malware Info, especially the section "What about sending files to Windows users?".

6. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Uninstalled Sophos last night & the Mac is fine this morning. Too early to tell if that's fixed my problem, but it's a promising start ...

I'd read reports of a recent malware that only needs Safari's "open safe files after downolading" to be checked (the default setting) to get onto your Mac, so thought perhaps I should give the MBP a scan, as it had been a while.

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=10813

In terms of Activity Monitor, once the laptop has frozen, I can't get to Activity Monitor

We shall see whether I get any freezes now that Sophos is off my machine.
    Thanks, as ever, for the excellent replies - what a community!

I'll post again if I have any further problem

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The first part of the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I posted provides details about MacDefender.