My mid2010 macbook pro 13 display glitch.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ramunas, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Ramunas macrumors member

Hello everyone,

My 2010 low-end macbook pro 13" displays these funky looking things. It has been happening for about three months now, but it got more prominent just a few weeks ago. It usually does happen when I open a new app or a new tab in safari.

Should I be worried ?

[​IMG]

2. Elevon macrumors regular

Looks like the graphics card playing up, I would definitely take it to the Genius bar.

Best of luck,

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Take it into Apple, and 8 out of 10 times they will actually do something to help you fix it. It may still be under warranty though. It does look like the video card is going out.

4. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Very keen to see how this issue plays out...please do share! Mine (same model/year as yours) does the exact same thing for a split second about once every 1-2 weeks. Definitely a problem with the GPU (or gpu drivers in OSX) as I have seen this scattering on both my laptop monitor and when an external monitor is plugged into it.

I have had this problem for about 5 months (albeit very rarely, and very intermittently), but I have never been able to replicate it on purpose. As a result, the authorised technicians won't play ball. Apple hardware test turns up bubkis...

Out of curiosity....are you running Lion?? The timing of my problem seemed to coincide nicely (perhaps coincidently) with my Lion upgrade.

Or, as they say....80% of the time, it works every time.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I also have the 13 mid 2010 and have the exact same problem. I am under AppleCare. I will try and capture a screenshot when it happens again. It just happened as I was reading this thread and switch to a different app. I was too slow and didn't capture a screenshot.

6. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Oh, crap mine does this every once in a while for a brief moment. Should I be concerned?

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes

8. orvn macrumors 6502

Does it only happen with particular applications? (iTunes)

Try an smc reset. I used to have artifacts on my screen periodically, that fixed it.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

For me it was only in Safari and iChat, when initiating a video call.

9. greythorne macrumors regular

You are probably running Lion. The exact same thing happened to me when i was running Lion, despite the point updates up to 10.7.2 did not help at all. I reinstalled Snow Leopard and the problem was not there anymore.

It's a Lion issue not your graphic card issue.

Ok do this, reinstall Snow Leopard and observe if the problem still persists.

10. orvn macrumors 6502

I encountered it on Snow Leopard..

Here's an old screenshot of my artifacts in iChat.

[​IMG]

11. greythorne macrumors regular

Hmmm ok because i did not encountered this in SL at all. Maybe the graphic card is faulty?

----------

Someone did mentioned that the graphics drivers are not optimized for those mid2010 models in Lion thought i forgot which thread i got that from....

12. Cruleworld macrumors newbie

Cruleworld

it's happening to me on my macbook pro as well. I'm running lion and I'd say about 3 months is the right timing. Does it happen on the new macs? is there a way to fix it yet?

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I need to take to Apple and have them replace it.

14. nassosdim macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have EXACTLY the same model as you and EXACTLY the same artifact problem but the thing is it doesn't occur only in Chrome (I only perceive it in Chrome but people report that it also happens in Xcode).
    Here's my topic below:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14228867#post14228867

I also rolled back in SL and works great. This is probably a similar problem with the one Apple patched a while ago on 15-inch MBP's by offering GPU driver updates.

Thing is, I'm not gonna stand around and wait.