My Mighty Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigaudiofanatic, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bigaudiofanatic macrumors regular

I just wanted to fill every in on my first mac. I recommended a mac to my father 2 years ago so he bought one. I was very curious about this thing called the mac. Well after he used it for about a year he dropped it while it was on and the screen open. It cracked the bottom left of the screen. At that point he gave it to me I was shocked here I am the new owner of a basically brand new mac powerbook g4 15 inch laptop. So at first I was skeptical than I liked it than I loved it. I have had it two years it has been the best computer I have ever had. It has been dropped twice the once with my dad and than i tripped the power cord and it went down with the power on and playing music. It hit and buckled the side of it. It has been on countless adventures strapped to the back of a motorcycle. I will be buying another one or my first one and I will NOT GO BACK TO WINDOWS!!! Even thought that is what my job is "to repair computers and diagnose problems":apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:All The way!

On another note a question what shouldI do at this point should I repair my mac and continue using it. Or sell it on ebay and use that money for a new one. Opinions please.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What is the extent of the problems that you want to repair? If they are minor then fix it, although if you want to replace the screen or something equally drastic then I'd sell it.

3. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

new screen and bottom portion because it is buckled and lifting up. I added it all up and it came to almost 500

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Definitely sell it then, you can't even fetch that much for most perfect condition PowerBooks.

5. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you use the heck out of it. Might as well run it into the ground then get a new one.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Sometimes you just need to let things go... :p

But seriously, you shouldn't bother trying to fix it up; you'd just be investing in dead technology. If you were only going to use it for general tasks, I'd considering taking that $500 and buying a last gen white macbook. I believe they're around $1000 now and should last you a while if you're still using a powerbook as your main computer. If you want more power you could always go for a refurbished MBP.

Or, just buy the new and slightly overpriced hotness.

7. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

The funny thing you bring up the macbook. A guy on another froum wants to trade my iphone and some home speaker for a very well cared for white macbook with a 160gb hard drive 2gb ram and wireless. The used iphone is on its way to my house soon. But I have never had one.

8. bigaudiofanatic thread starter macrumors regular

Update!

So a few days ago I go to use my mac YES STILL WORKING LIKE A CHARM!! And the charger dose not work so, I went on amazon and ordered one of these and back to normal. The funny thing is that as much as I want to get a new one this thing is like fighting me saying I am not ready to go just give me a few more years!! It is insane:eek:.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BK19VQ/ref=ox_ya_oh_product