My Mini Review For The Alu MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bwilky, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Bwilky macrumors regular

I know theres a lot out there by now, but I think it's probably good for people so they can have a non bias opinion. Firstly, I did get the 4 gb ram upgrade in store. I does indeed speed up the OS for me. Now, strait to the facts.

The most frequently discussed topic is the macbooks screen quality. I personally think it's very colorful and full of life. The viewing angles aren't as good as the PRO version, but who really is going to be using their laptop on a weird angle. I know there are some that would like to show their friends/family photos, but I guess thats something your going to need to deal with. Overall I'd give the screen a 8.5/10. I have seen better, but this is a satisfactory screen.

Secondly, the keyboard and track pad. The one main issue I have with this setup is when typing my arm sometimes clicks the track pad. I guess this might just be my fat arm (JK) or maybe a down side to the new track pad. Another note is, my keyboard is slant free (According to my eye). The keyboard doesn't feel the same as the regular Apple chick let keyboard, but it's pretty nice for the base model.
    The trackpad is not exactly what I expected. Maybe it's cause I have cold fingers, but I wasn't HIGHLY impressed on the lagish response. Maybe I worded it wrong, but you know, that thing when you try to move the cursor but it just really doesn't react to well. Also, I really expected a nice sheet of glass that didn't make that click sound. How nice would it be if the track pad was actually almost "PART" of the body. Like a real piece of glass.

Overall for the keyboard and track pad, 9.1/10.

Now, onto the body. Well 10/10. It's a solid body. It feels very durable and strong compared the poli bodys. When you hold it in your hands you feel important. It feels like $1,743.44. Again, 10/10 on the body. I LOVE IT.

There are a few things I think they could have done. For instance, I really think they should of given a free mini display port -> your choice. This would promote their decision on switching, and hopefully allow for Mini display to grow and become the next best thing. Secondly, more USB. Especially with those crappy mouses they sell. How does a right hand person use it without having to get an extension cable? They should of had, 2 right, 2 left. Thirdly, I think they should of added a firewire for all those babies who won't buy one now. For the extra 0.25 it would of cost them, it would be worth it.

Overall, 9/10 on this product. I hope this review has helped people understand the beauty of this product.

*Remember, this is just my opinion. So if you highly disagree with any of my thoughts, please don't bash me.

2. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I agree with most of this. Everybody's opinion will be different though, because Apple has manufactured some perfect, acceptable, mediocre and unacceptable ones. Nice to know that you received a good one. Received a good one too! I didn't know about the problems until I got home and I didn't open the box while in the car too! The Apple Store was about 45 minutes away and I had to go there, because all Apple Stores were out!