My mini thinks it's a laptop!!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by shikimo, Apr 27, 2009.

1. shikimo macrumors 6502

So I turn on my mini yesterday morning after his weekly Saturday night nap, and what do I find but the battery charge icon freshly installed next to the Bluetooth icon!! When I click on it it says in gray "unknown time until full," then the usual visual options (i.e. icon only, time left in minutes, etc.), "power source: power adapter" also in gray, and the option of opening energy saver.

Is my mini trying to tell me he wants to get out more, or do I have some sort of problem here? Everything else seems to be working fine.

BTW it's a 1.83 Core 2 Duo running 10.4.11 going on about 20 months of unblemished daily perfection. I haven't added any new peripherals or made any major updates in several weeks.

2. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

That is very strange.

I don't know what caused it, but you can hold the Apple key (cmd) and drag it out of the menu bar. It should disappear in a 'puff of smoke'.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, makes sense, for it's made with laptop components :D

4. motownflip macrumors regular

5. shikimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I rebooted, logged out, all the standard stuff for a weird glitch like this. I haven't dragged it out of the menu par simply because I would like to figure out how it got there first.

Maybe my apartment is haunted:).

6. Arty macrumors newbie

Mine too..
    I see it in istat pro...
    The funny thing is that the battery dropped from a constant 80% to 79% today after a week. So 1% every week and when 0% is reached than what????
    Buy a new one??? :)

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

When I transferred my files from my MacBook Air to my new mini using Migration Assistant I had the same issue, but I just dragged it out of the bar into a puff of smoke...

8. frimple macrumors 6502

Huh... did you just do the 10.5.7 update? I can't think of why it would just start showing up, however in a strange way it makes sense. The mini really is just a laptop folded up...

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

In the original post the OP mentioned running 10.4.11. (Tiger)

10. srexy macrumors 6502a

Double-check your software update log under system profiler. There was a Tiger security update around the same time as the controversial Leopard update.

Security Update 2009-002 (Intel)" (1.0)

Wonder if that might have caused it?

11. Arty macrumors newbie

12. DanielNZ macrumors newbie

My iMac did this

My 08 iMac did this a couple weeks ago I just clicked on the battery icon in the menu bar and changed it from show icon to show time remaining. Now it doesn't show anything about the battery in the menu bar

13. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

14. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

Sure it has the same components as a laptop, except a battery, so as you can see it really doesn't make sense for a battery meter to be on a batteryless computer. That would be like putting a fuel gage on a bicycle.

15. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

Has anyone really ever operated a mini from their lap? NO why do people keep saying that a mac mini is a laptop because its made up of small components. If you ask me the imac is more of a laptop as it has a built in screen. But either way a machine that: doesn't have a battery, doesn't have a screen, and is marketed as a DESKTOP computer, is NOT a laptop.

16. shikimo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh, no use getting excited about all the people with nothing better to do than make fun of our minis:). Two years and no real issues later, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again...and I sure enjoyed spending the extra hundreds I saved from not buying an iMac with a screen I can't stand to look at.

...anyway, I did do the security install at the same time I 'upgraded' to 10.4.11, and it was right after that that the icon appeared. It's still there; I'd like to figure out how to make it disappear without dragging it out of the bar, and since it's not hurting anyone or anything...

Incidentally, mine says "100%" when I click on percentage, and "unknown time" when I show time remaining.

One day I'll have the time to really research and solve this problem...