My 'mint' condition Macbook pro has a mark on the screen, can it be fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robodelfy, Jun 16, 2018.

1. robodelfy macrumors regular

Hi

I just received a 2015 Macbook pro from ebay that was apparently in mint condition, not a blemish on it. I just opened it and there a few scratches on the top and bottom, nothing I couldnt make peace with, but then I noticed a mark on the screen. It seems to be under the protective layer and glass, so its actually the screen.

Can anyone see from the pictures what kind of problem this is? Dead pixels or something else? Any way I can test? You can see the mark next to the 'untitled' font of the document, and on the other pic above the bottom apps

I'm going to have to send it back, its a hassle though. And a real shame as these tiop spec models dont come up often, 1tb ssd, gpu, 2.8ghz cpu. Grrrr!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Does not look like deadpixels to me. an easy way to test for it is to display different colour in full screen and see if they change with it. http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php
    I
    f you slide a finger over the scratch, how does it feel?

3. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, you can see all the different colours in the mark. It's quite a big mark, a few mm wide, and around the edge its darker than in the middle.

The surface of the screen is smooth, it's not a mark on the surface, but its also not a dead pixel by the looks of it. So what could it be? Some sort of strange burn in between the screen and the outer protective layer, I dont see how thats possible

4. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Then I am really unsure of what it could be. maybe condensed water which have dried up, but I can't imagine how it got in there...

5. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have no idea. I am going to send it back to the guy for a refund on monday, but if there was a fix for it would consider keeping it for a partial refund, as apart from that mark its perfect and in great working order. Hmmm

Anyone else got any ideas? Thanks

6. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

If near an Apple store or seller get their opinion.

7. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm not really, its a long drive to the nearest store. I alos need to send it back on monday.

Its a strange mark

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

9. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Well the guy seems very honest, he sells a lot of them and was very helpful. He did say he couldnt imagine how he missed it as he is usually meticulous, and sells quite a lot of them. He is very happy to pay for postage back and refund me, so I dont think he imagined he would get away with it. he must have genuinely missed it. It took me about 20 minutes of use to spot it, but then its all I could see!

So annoying :)

10. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I guess it would depend on how good a deal you got, and how it was advertised
    If advertised as "mint" then clearly it is not
    If it was advertised as "mint" and was a great deal, then that should have been a clue

If you can't live with it at the price you paid, then send it back
    Otherwise, maybe you could negotiate a settlement of some kind

11. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

It wasnt an incredible deal, just about right for what it was. The guy offered to give me a partial refund but was also happy to take it back.

I can live with a few marks on the body, but a mark on the screen I cant. I do video editing and photography and its a nightmare for that! So I have to send it back and start searching again.

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Sounds about right then for what you are using it for
    Shame, I know it is a hassle and disappointing
    Hopefully you can find something soon

13. robodelfy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yeah something will turn up, the 2.8,1tb with radeon gpu are rare! But not too rare.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if I'd got it cheap from a dodgy seller! But I genuinely think he didn't know about the mark! Anyway, life goes on :)

Thanks for the help