Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
My issue isn't the lack of MMS, I've completely come to terms with that, whatever, if they fix it, great, if not, I'll live.

My big complaint is how annoying it is to retrieve an image someone sends you via MMS. Is there way around going back and forth between your SMS msg to get your MSG ID and Password and Safari to enter it, other than writing it down (a pen/paper isn't always handy, and for that matter SHOULDN'T be necessary).

Short of the non-existent copy/paste, is there an easier way to do this that I'm just missing?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
not just that but the site they send you to is flash based, so if someone sends you a music file, you can't listen to it on your phone...

Warpdrv

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
SEriously, why can't they just send you a link directly to the message, click on it and have it open right into safari.... DUH

That is just plain stupid IMO....

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Or Apple could just take the 30 seconds to activate the functionality in the SMS app.

patd

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
San Marcos, Ca.
SEriously, why can't they just send you a link directly to the message, click on it and have it open right into safari.... DUH

That is just plain stupid IMO....

I'm with you, When I get a picture sent to me it is to much work trying to open it up, with that AT&T look at my message or what ever web page, give me a direct link please.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I couldn't care less about MMS personally, but I can see how others would.

What I don't understand is why it's not there for those who want it. It's a friggin money machine for the carriers. How can there be mobile chat, which ostensibly takes away from SMS income, and not MMS, which adds to income? The carriers don't make a dime when you email a photo.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I definitely don't care all that much about MMS either. I didn't send all that many when I had a phone w/ that functionality, but I do receive the occasional picture message. My 50 y/o parents think it's the coolest thing to be able to send me a picture straight to my phone. I'm supposed to explain to them that they have to add my email address to their phone and remember how to send to that instead of to my phone number? And if they DO text it to me, I've gotta have a pen handy to write down some ridiculous code and password to actually view it.

It's astounding that this hasn't been fixed. It makes zero sense.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think, much like Video, Apple doesn't know how to handle MMS from a UI standpoint.

I mean ... when you get a pic, where does it go? In your photo library? the Camera roll? Does it just stay "trapped" in the txt thread?

I get the impression that Apple doesn't want to do anything "temporarily" -- that whatever it does it has to stick with. I can understand them not wanting to "patch in" some MMS support without a fully fleshed plan behind it.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Or Apple could just take the 30 seconds to activate the functionality in the SMS app.

exactly, people are venting in the wrong direction. who cares about whether they send a direct link or not in the SMS...let's get on apples case about letting us send pictures in our SMS messges lie almost every other phone in the world! :mad:

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I think, much like Video, Apple doesn't know how to handle MMS from a UI standpoint.

I mean ... when you get a pic, where does it go? In your photo library? the Camera roll? Does it just stay "trapped" in the txt thread?

I get the impression that Apple doesn't want to do anything "temporarily" -- that whatever it does it has to stick with. I can understand them not wanting to "patch in" some MMS support without a fully fleshed plan behind it.

I've gotta disagree w/ the UI issue. It seems like it'd be SO easy to have it operate much like receiving a picture in an email. It appears in the email, if i want to save it, i tap and hold on the image then save it. If not, it stays in the ongoing msg thread.

Sending would also operate like sending a pic in email, just add a "Send in MMS" button to the menu that pops up.

They'd just be taking the UI they're already using and implementing it w/ the SMS application. Seems easy enough... SEEMS :p

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
At least you guys get a notification that someone has sent you an MMS message. I don't even get that and AT&T has been of no help.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I've gotten notification of a MMS. I get the info to retrieve it with a link. I find a pen and paper to write down that info. Go to the link, put that info in and nothing happens.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've gotta disagree w/ the UI issue. It seems like it'd be SO easy to have it operate much like receiving a picture in an email. It appears in the email, if i want to save it, i tap and hold on the image then save it. If not, it stays in the ongoing msg thread.

Sending would also operate like sending a pic in email, just add a "Send in MMS" button to the menu that pops up.

They'd just be taking the UI they're already using and implementing it w/ the SMS application. Seems easy enough... SEEMS :p

But (forgive my ignorance), I'm assuming if Apple supports MMS, apple would have to support all 3 content types? Audio, video, picture?

So maybe the problem is what to do with the audio and video content? There's no 'save to library' for music or video (the things apple actually sells) or anything like that, like there's been for pictures for a while now (ipod photo had some weird connector). Maybe syncing music and video would get all sloppy if content came in form the 'base' (your itunes) and the 'satellites' (your itunes tethered iphone).

It's probably slightly messier than we assume.

nnfaris5

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
why iphone doesnt have the video?? i was hesitated to purchase iphone cuz i really needed video but i have it in my hand now.. anybody knows if Apple will add a video program on 3G or not..?? if they are not on that plan, call them to say that i reall want it yho~~ ^_______^

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
this would all be easily solved if att just paid some college dropout to remake the picture message site in iphone compatible ajax.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
But (forgive my ignorance), I'm assuming if Apple supports MMS, apple would have to support all 3 content types? Audio, video, picture?

So maybe the problem is what to do with the audio and video content? There's no 'save to library' for music or video (the things apple actually sells) or anything like that, like there's been for pictures for a while now (ipod photo had some weird connector). Maybe syncing music and video would get all sloppy if content came in form the 'base' (your itunes) and the 'satellites' (your itunes tethered iphone).

It's probably slightly messier than we assume.

I don't know that video/audio would HAVE to be supported (although I'll admit i didn't even consider that). I believe my stupid Razr only supported pictures. I'm sure 90% of the people complaining about the lack of MMS would be relatively satisfied w/ picture messaging capabilities only...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.