Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
What should I do? With all the rumors I guess I will have to wait and let it expire. What would you do?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
What should I do? With all the rumors I guess I will have to wait and let it expire. What would you do?
Just renew it. Very doubtful IMO that MM is going Free. IF it does I'll bet Apple with refund your money on a pro rata basis. Don't think there is much to lose or risk by renewing.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The same thing you would do to all your worldly possessions if all the rumors were saying that the world would end in 2012 and it was December 2011. Sure those Mayans may be right, but are you going to make a big gamble on it when every rational person says that they are probably wrong.

Don't make a big bet on a rumor. Odds are you will get burned. Look at the odds. How many rumors do we hear over and over that have no time-line that turn out to be 100% accurate and how many do not? I can tell you the odds are heavily against you here.

Even if we assume that the rumors about Mobile Me going free are true (and we have nothing to base that on), here is no time-line that we can base it on anyway. So even if your bargain to not renew was right, you can be months off with the timing and still be screwed.

Purchase decisions with services like MobileMe should almost never be done based on rumors. Make decisions after announcements and not based on unsourced vague rumors that you have no guarantee of accuracy. You should renew now and not loose your data. Odds are, the rumors will not meet your renewal period. You might as well expect to hit the powerball jackpot. The odds are not in your favor here.

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I renewed online 3 days ago and it charged me the full boat.

Unless it goes free and they refund a prorated share, its still full price.

rodjam

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2008

Mine expires on March 28, and I am not renewing. I've paid for .Mac/MobileMe since 2004, and I've had enough. Unless it becomes free before March 28 + 15 days, I'm gone.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
The ONLY thing I use it for is contact synchronization between two iPhones and a desktop. I think I am going to hold off. They don't even sell it in the stores anymore, so hopefully there will be some free form with basic sync features. Then I will keep dropbox for everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.