Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I currently have a .mac address which I have had for years. My question is: is there a way to change my email address and have @mac.com, or am I stuck with @me.com if I change it?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Correct... I still use my @mac.com address

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
The OP's asking if he can change his email address and have it be @mac.com.

There's no way to change your MobileMe username -- BUT you can create an email alias. If your account was originally a .Mac one then the alias will work with both youralias@mac.com and youralias@me.com

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The OP's asking if he can change his email address and have it be @mac.com.

There's no way to change your MobileMe username -- BUT you can create an email alias. If your account was originally a .Mac one then the alias will work with both youralias@mac.com and youralias@me.com

Not quite, the OP is very unclear.

I currently have a .mac address
Suggests he has a .mac address.

which I have had for years.
Suggests he has a .mac adress for sure because he's had it for years.

My question is: is there a way to change my email address and have @mac.com, or am I stuck with @me.com if I change it?
Now I am totally lost but I read it as he wants to renew, is worried it will revert to .me and his .mac won't work so he'd like to know if he does renew can be change it back to the .mac address?

OP: Outlook unclear, try again. :)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Well to cover all the bases... ;)

#1. If you renew your account, you will not lose your @mac.com email address.

#2. You can't change your email address but you can create an alias that forwards to your original one. You can use the alias with either @mac.com or @me.com.

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
let me clear this up.

Right now the address i use is *****@mac.com. My subscription is about to renew and I would like to change it to a different username @mac.com.

My question is: is there a way to cancel my current subscription, start a new one and still have @mac.com instead of @me.com

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
let me clear this up.

Right now the address i use is *****@mac.com. My subscription is about to renew and I would like to change it to a different username @mac.com.

My question is: is there a way to cancel my current subscription, start a new one and still have @mac.com instead of @me.com

essentially I want to have a different address @mac.com than I currently have as opposed to @me.com

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
let me clear this up.

As rorschach stated, nope. There are possible ways around it, but you cannot change it.

BCulp543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
also I dont want to use an alias as last time I checked you cannot use aliases on iPhones.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
There actually is a way to use your alias on the iPhone (copied from the Apple discussion boards):

1. Tap "Settings"
2. Tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
3. Tap "Add Account"
4. Tap "Other"
5. Fill in the requested information using your alias as the "address" and you normal password. The rest of the information can be whatever you want.
6. Tap "Save" in the upper right corner
7. The iPhone will verify the account (it may take a minute)
8. Make sure the "IMAP" tab is selected on the top of the screen
9. Fill in the requested information using mail.mac.com for Incoming "Host Name" and smtp.mac.com for Outgoing "Host Name"
10. Use you primary account "User Name" and "Password" in both categories, not the alias.
11. Tap "Save" in the upper right corner
I made mine my default account by doing the following.

12. Tap "Settings"
13. Tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
14. Tap "Default Account"
15. Select your newly created .Mac Alias
16. Send a Message and you should be all set.

Marquito

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Yep, if your original email address has the @mac.com then you can use the aliases with @mac.com too.

Are you sure? I have two @mac.com addresses and when I make aliases they only give me the option to use the aliases as @me.com addresses - unfortunately...:(

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Are you sure? I have two @mac.com addresses and when I make aliases they only give me the option to use the aliases as @me.com addresses - unfortunately...:(

Huh. That's really odd. I have two aliases that I've had for a while now (but created *after* MobileMe came out) and this is what it shows in the preferences

14789628.png

But I tried creating a new one and it only creates it with an @me.com address... I guess they got rid of that option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.