My Mom sent me this iPod Touch and I've messed up...Please help.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bella Chic, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bella Chic, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Bella Chic macrumors newbie

Bella Chic

Hello everyone, I'm Bella and this is my first post and I hate that it's a help me post but I need it badly. My Mom sent me her 2nd Generation iPod Touch and I got it in the mail today. It still had her email on it so I figured ok, I'll just erase and restore. Ya, not cool apparently! When I turn it on, it shows the USB cord with the arrow pointing up to the iTunes logo. Well, I'm on a PowerBookG4 and the highest OS I can go up to is 10.4.11 and I can't update my iTunes to 10.2 because of this. I have iTunes 8.2.1, which the box says that I need at least iTunes 8 for this iPod Touch but when I plug it into my computer it says..."The iPod "iPod touch" cannont be used because it requires iTunes version 10.1 or later. Go to itunes (dot) com to download the latest version of iTunes." I can't download it with OS 10.4.11. What do I do? I fell horrible, I just got it today and totally screwed up. You have no idea how much I will appreciate your help. Thank you for reading all this and for helping me if you can.

Oh and I've googled my lil heart out trying to figure out what to do and have no clue what-so-ever! Step by step instructions would help me very much, that is for sure lol.

2. Mclovinirish macrumors newbie

As the firmware versions increased, so did the iTunes requirements. You could explain your trouble in an Apple store and ask them to restore it for you. But that is only a short term fix, as you would still need to find a means of getting music, vids etc onto it.

There may be a third party app out there that would allow you to add music etc without iTunes.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Calm down, you haven't 'screwed up', the iPod just wont sync with your machine.

You're not the only one, there are lots of threads on Apple's forum when users are in the same situation (such as this one).

Really, you have two options
    1) Find a Windows machine to sync with (almost any XP machine will do)
    2) Downgrade the iPod's firmware to 3.1.3 (not sure if that's even possible)
    3) Upgrade your Mac to Leopard, which supports iTunes 10, the requirements are an 867MHz CPU and 512mb RAM (click :apple: > About This Mac to find out)

4. Bella Chic thread starter macrumors newbie

Bella Chic

Ok, thank you so much both of you :) I have a friend that can download iTunes 10.2 and will see if this will work. I hate messing things up and being a total screw up lol. I will let y'all know if this works.

As for an Apple store...I live in the sticks and there is no Apple store around so that sucks big time!

I really appreciate the help...if there is anything else I can do please feel free to let me know :)

5. Mclovinirish macrumors newbie

If you can use a friends computer with iTunes 10.2 you will have no problem at all. It should restore just fine. Enjoy your iPod ;)

6. Bella Chic thread starter macrumors newbie

Bella Chic

7. Bella Chic thread starter macrumors newbie

Bella Chic

Update: It Worked!!! :) I am so very happy!!! I restored it to factory settings on my friends computer and all is well in iPod land now. Thank y'all so much for your help. I can't connect it to my computer still but my friend is going to leave iTunes on her computer so I can use it, she rocks! Thank you again, I'm so glad this worked :)