My Mom...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TechieJustin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Is the proud new owner of a refurb Macbook Pro 15.4"
    :apple: FTW!

Full AppleCare and all.

She ordered it online and an Apple rep left a message on her voicemail - I wonder what that's all about.

Does the AppleCare start after the initial warranty expires giving three total years of coverage? Or does it start when the initial warranty expires, giving four years coverage?

2. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

That blows.
    But it sure beats the HP that died 29 days after the warranty expired.
    Video coming soon.

Right now, I'm buying broken laptops off Craigslist, fixing them and selling them off ebay.
    I bought a HP 6715b that wouldn't "charge" which meant boot for $50. New power brick, downloaded the service manual - opened her up, cleaned the fan and...

View My Video

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How long should it cover? I think 3 years is pretty good.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Three years is fine. I just wish Apple would quit implying it’s a three year extended warranty in their marketing materials (and letting their Apple Store and AppleCare employees incorrectly describe it as such).

A year of phone support should be included in your “one year limited warranty” anyway. How are you supposed to get warranty service without phone support when you don’t have an Apple Store nearby?

It’s confusing to customers, annoying to first year Mac owners that are out of the 90 days of “complimentary” phone support and expensive for what it is.

The “AppleCare Protection Plan” is really just two additional years of warranty plus nine additional months of phone support for the first year.

I also get tired of being pestered by AppleCare to purchase an APP for every Apple device I own (iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook, iMac, etc) and having to give them my credit card for collateral (in case the call is actually a software issue when I know it’s a hardware issue) every time I call outside of the 90 days.

5. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

Good for your mom! my mom is waiting on her tax check for her first Mac. Shes not sure is she wants a MacBook or Mac Mini. Regardless, after she started playing with mine and all the viruses that attacked her 6 month old Gateway, she has made her mind up. And there's no going back. lol :D

6. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

So what does APP cover?
    After 90 days, there's a charge for phone support? Do they include getting an RMA for another problem as phone support?

Here's the HP POS...
    http://tinypic.com/r/n69r46/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2djxojk/6

http://tinypic.com/r/of7y21/6

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

FYI, AppleCare (Apple’s tech support phone line) and the AppleCare Protection Plan (the actual extended warranty) are used interchangeable on these forums.

The AppleCare Protection Plan adds two years of additional manufacturer warranty to your product along with certain Apple-branded accessories that were included or used with the product (like Apple earbuds, AirPort Base Station, Time Capsule, etc). Full phone support for those additional two years is included.

However, it also extends your original warranty’s (the first year of coverage) phone support from 90 days to the full year and entitles you to on-site coverage (if you have an Apple desktop and live within a certain distance of an Authorized Apple Service Provider). So, if you have AppleCare you can call anytime within those three years of warranty.

But it doesn’t cover accidental damage. Legal crap here:

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

Apple’s lovely marketing graphic attached.

If you don’t have the AppleCare Protection Plan on a product that’s covered under the original 1-year warranty and it’s out of the original 90 days (among other limitations), you have to chalk up $50 to speak to phone support if the issue is not a hardware issue.

AppleCare tech support usually asks for your credit card before proceeding with your call, which was what I was referring to (complaining about) in my previous post. I think that’s a time waster and phone support should be “complimentary” for the entire first year regardless of whether or not you purchase an AppleCare Protection Plan.

With all that said, AppleCare is by far the best consumer-level tech support in the industry (according to Consumer Reports) and your mom will be very happy.

Attached Files:

8. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin