My Morning at Maxfield (long post)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by littlezumbo, Apr 24, 2015.

1. littlezumbo, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

littlezumbo macrumors member

On April 10th, I placed my order for a 42mm SS watch w/bright blue leather loop. I thought it was curious when the screen blinked from an early shipping date of 4/24-5/8 to 5/13-5/27, but no matter, I'd go for it anyway. I kept my fingers crossed for an early shipping date and had a bit of hope when I received confirmation of my order at 12:02am PST. Alas, most of us are now aware there very well may be a problem with leather loop orders, and my band choice was one of the most unfortunate where luck and "earlyish" shipments were concerned. Oh well, I'd just wait it out, even with a bitter taste slowly developing around this launch whenever I thought of the procession of celebrities brandishing their watches for all of the regular people (now, apparently, second-class citizens) to lust after. An extra dash of poor planning, poor communication, and the hint of customer disrespect didn't help matters. But I have thick skin, and after all a corporation is just that; they are neither family nor friend and they don't owe me anything other than what I pay for.

Fast forward to April 23rd, yesterday, when I heard Maxfield in Los Angeles (an 18-minute drive from my house) would have stock available starting at 9:00am today. Reports varied regarding the breakdown of the inventory, but it seemed like something to consider since canceling my pre-order after a successful brick and mortar purchase would be easy enough. The potential line around the block though...that was just not my scene at all.

Last night, I couldn't sleep. Too many visions of reluctant bright blue leather loops too shy to be seen wrapped around the wrists of the common man and woman ricocheting inside my head. I woke at 4:37am; slipped out of bed lest my wife confirm what she's always suspected, i.e., I'm just too geeky to share a life with; slipped into some warm clothes; put together a haphazard waiting-in-an-Apple-launch-line-bag filled with headphones, iPad, water, and snacks; and drove over to Melrose. The line waiting for me stretched around the building, but after a quick headcount, I guessed I was probably around the 100th to 120th person waiting for "my precious" in the darkness.

To keep this from turning into the longest post ever (please don't let it be), I'll speed through what happened next: after seven hours in line and only about 60 people ahead of me having already purchased their watches, a rumor started to float that all 42mm SS watches had been sold out. I'll say this again in a different way. The only store in the United States where Apple made the decision to have stock available to the masses ran out of 42mm SS watches after 60 customers! And, surely, not all of those customers chose stainless steel watches as the majority were bubbling about their sport purchases while they walked past the lowly legion of losers who had just spent seven hours of their lives they'd never get back for nothing. Suffice it to say, I gave my ticket (yes, they issued tickets for order) to a fellow sufferer and left the line empty-handed. By the way, tickets in my position were selling to a sketchy band of Russians for $100-$300 a pop!!! The world has gone crazy.

Well, it's not necessarily true that my wait was for nothing. I met a truly warm group of people during this time. From the Filipino-American psychology student; to the brother and sister duo respectively taking a break from his day at the advertising company and her J.D/M.B.A studies; to another young man from Guangzhou, China two years into his American adventure; to the ex-bookstore owner who years ago realized her business was doomed when she was playing with her iPhone and ended up on Amazon and considered purchasing a book there; to the 20 or 30something year-old Floridian pastor one month from becoming a father and who had travelled with a group of friends from West Covina; to the tall "Parenthood"/"Californication"cameraman.

They made the last seven hours memorable.

Apple, on the other hand, has seen better launches and my fingers are crossed (again) that they return to celebrating the process regular customers experience purchasing their products and give it the same import and priority as they seemingly have for the celebrities they shower with aluminum, steel, and gold. Have fun with your watches!

2. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

3. powerslave65 macrumors 6502

powerslave65

Well said and I completely agree.

4. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

Can you believe I forgot to mention that? Just edited to say, "No." I left with nothing but my over-the-shoulder bag I came in with.

5. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Hah! :D

6. Mikwehttam macrumors newbie

Wait, did you actually confirm that they were out of 42mm SS watches?

7. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

Also forgot to say (sleep deprived) I chatted up a representative from Apple who was a really nice guy. He didn't want to "confirm or deny" -- I asked him if he was a politician -- since it would look bad if everyone left the line. But later he came to me and whispered that the rumors were true. When I replied that I would be leaving, he apologized. Oh well.

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

After all that waiting why on earth would you not just wait a little bit longer to see what your options were and see if it was worth the wait. Makes no sense to just give up because you had "heard" that they were out of SS models.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

But this is exactly why they went the online route for this launch. With supplies as limited as they were, for whatever reason, an online launch ensured that more people got what they wanted. Had they distributed the watches to 431 stores, they'd have sent "too many" 42mm stainless steel watches to one store, "not enough" to another, and a lot more people would be disappointed today. As it stands, lots of us got delivery e-mails from UPS that the watches we wanted are waiting for us at home.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear that you didn't get what you wanted.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not to mention a lot more watches would have got in the hand of scalpers.

12. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps you didn't see the post where I received confirmation that there was no inventory of the style that I wanted. Rather than purchase something I don't care for, I'll simply wait for one to arrive in the post.

----------

Many thanks, leenak. At least a watch will arrive for me in the post later rather than sooner. I never cancelled the pre-order.

13. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Don't get me wrong I understand the sentiment I just would have at least seen what my options were after all that waiting time. Here's to hoping that your online order ships soon.

14. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

KPOM, I actually had no issue at all with online orders, well other than leather loop orders appearing to have zero in stock. In fact, I thought one of the only reasonable ways for us to receive exactly what we wanted was via the Apple Store. Nor did I believe stock should have been sent to all 431 stores.

My concern with Apple's strategy is that Maxfield's inventory was anemic at best. When you promote one store in the nation having stock on launch day and that inventory can't meet demand past 60 customers, then perhaps you shouldn't have in-store sales at all. With the Russian scalpers, the resulting frustration, the lack of transparency, and the pervasive feeling of time wasted, it simply didn't seem like a celebratory Apple launch at all.

----------

I appreciate that. For me, after visiting the Apple Store twice for fittings, I know I want a stainless steel version and the 38mm is far too small for my wrist. I'd never consider the smaller size. Leaving the line and waiting for the post was truly my only option. Cheers.

15. killawat macrumors 65816

I agree 100% with not having store launches.

Let me mention how crazy this is: I was legitimately considering flying down from Washington to LAX to get in line @ maxfield. I quickly came to my senses, but if I were anywhere in california or nearby i would not have hesitated to drive down, so I imagine it was a madhouse for the locals.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

They didn't exactly promote it loudly. Maxfield's should have regular inventory once supply and demand normalize. I don't think they intended to have a celebratory Apple launch with the traditional Day 1 crowd at Maxfield's, though it's sort of impossible for it not to happen given the circumstances. Apple could have started sales at the boutiques a week later if they wanted to completely quash the line, though.

17. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

One of the best decisions of your life. So happy for you that you didn't do it :)

18. StevenCP macrumors member

Thank you for sharing your experience! Apple could have done much more better than this.

19. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, when there is one store in the country selling the hottest new thing from Apple, it doesn't matter if the promotion is a scream or a whisper. The damage will be done and there will be a line. People in the queue were from everywhere! Truly, they should have just refrained from diverting from their stated online exclusive. It's a first world problem though and I'm not stressed about it...just at this point a bit tired.

----------

You're welcome, StevenCP. Cheers.

20. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

1. I think that the celebrities got the gold ones, not the sport watches. Although maybe Rob Schneider got a sport watch.

2. The rumor that you acted on was not true. It would have been worth sticking around for just a little bit longer.

21. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

1. You're probably right. So my congratulations to all those who desired the Sport, including even Rob Schneider!

2. And the rumor was fact by the time I left, as it was surreptitiously confirmed to me by Apple's Big Kahoona on location. Nice try though.

22. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Of course he said that.
    He didn't want you to be upset.

Confirmed by Ed.

23. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

McDaddio, it's unfortunate, but you're wasting your energy with me. Apparently, there will be more stock tomorrow. However, as of early this afternoon, they were out of 42mm SS watches. With that said, enjoy your ethereal authority but I'm satisfied with the authenticity of words spoken by a real person in a real interaction rather than a random post by a random person online.

Other than that, have a lovely evening.

Oh, that's right...Confirmed by Ed.

24. KingCoffee macrumors member

KingCoffee

I was inside. They ran out of 42mm's in the SS.

Confirmed by Me.

25. littlezumbo thread starter macrumors member

Love that.